Chapter 20

Geo looked out of his front door window watching Ryan drive out of his neighborhood. He was so exhausted but starving. When he opened the fridge it was literally empty. Not even a speck of dust or dirt in the fridge.

He turned around and groaned, placing a hand on his forehead. After his frustrated grunt he looked directly to his left, there was a full bottle of Lagavulin sixteen sitting on the counter.

"It's like seven thirty in the morning." Geo says to himself before grabbing the bottle frantically and unscrewing the top in one swift motion. As soon as the bottle touched his lips and the liquid hit his tongue he spit it all out. Dropping the bottle at his feet. It shattered into a thousand pieces and it was completely wet. "Damn." He cursed himself out and he knew he didn't have a broom or dust pan.

Trying to be as careful as possible he arched his leg up high and stepped over the mess. He went over to a large stack of boxes, he knew there was a towel in one of them. As soon as he found the right box he ripped it open and took out an orange thick bath towel. Gently he laid it over the glass and whisky.

And he stood there for. A long time staring at the mess on the floor because he didn't know what to do. He didn't know what to do about the mess, he knew he'd have to go to the store but he didn't want to. Geo didn't know what to do with his day, he was lost. And he didn't know what to do with his life.

"I'll help you clean it up." That's what she would say to him but she wasn't there. Geo could picture her as she would bend over and pick up the little pieces of glass, collecting the shards in her long lengthy fingers. And as she would squat down, her legs were so long they would touch her chest. Geo laughed to himself but as soon as the laugh came out he started to cry.

Every second he was miserable, he really didn't know what to do. He wished she was there. Geo plainly just missed her. After sucking up his tears he walked back to his room and tried to go back to sleep, tormented by the thought of her.

When Geo went to work he was like a zombie, he couldn't even function. All of his experience with old cars practically didn't matter because how he acted was inexcusable. He'd sit at the office chair at his desk and blank out for hours on end. His business partner Jesse knew he was heart broken.

Jesse knew this company was hers and had to do it herself but financially she needed someone else. So in a way she let him take his time. She let him sit at his desk all day and rot in self pity. Jesse did this because she thought maybe he would get a grip one day but she mostly did it so he could heal on his own terms.

Geo's home life wasn't much different if he tried to sleep it was the same dream over and over again.

She was there behind a clear wall that he couldn't penetrate or get through no matter how hard he tried. She was right there but then she wasn't. Geo would wake up from this nightmare after she disappeared. He didn't know what was to come next, in the dream or in real life.

Some little thing took away the pain, fixing his house up. It was a very old home. Geo had no clue when the last owner even stepped foot in the house. Cob webs, peeling paint, rickety stairs. But he already cleaned the cob webs and painted the whole house. He still didn't have any furniture, he wouldn't dare to leave the house.

Without another thought about his old house he took the opposite side of the hammerhead and pried into the wood. Yanking the plank off easily. He did that twenty times. No music, nothing, in complete silence.

"God dammit." Geo said to himself because he had tools and saws and everything he needed to put new planks in. Besides the planks. Maybe he was missing a saw.

Geo built up his social tolerance in the mirror as he combed is unruly hair. It was getting very long, so was his beard. His hair was dark and curly, just past his ears. It was the longest it had ever been. And his beard was about two inches, thats what he calculated as he stared at it in the mirror. Two, that's how many months she had been gone for.