1

Gaara was safe. The Akatsuki had taken the Shukaku, but Gaara was safe. That was all that mattered. Naruto stared at his stoic friend and a small smile crossed his face. It wasn't often that someone you knew died and then was resurrected. But jinchuurikis don't work inside the realms of normal logic. They are living reminders that they shouldn't be alive, that no matter what, they should have been erased years ago. Human sacrifices weren't supposed to last as long as they had. But this train of thought wasn't helping any and Naruto knew that. Staring his friend in the eyes, Naruto raised his hand and offered it to Gaara. The red head raised an eyebrow and used his sand to lift his hand and grasped Naruto's own firmly.

"Thank you, my friend, for saving my life. I am indebted to you."

Temari and Kankurou stood behind their brother with grins on their faces. It wasn't often that Gaara showed this level of respect and warmth to anyone. Naruto merely nodded his head and clapped his hand on Gaara's shoulder.

"We have to go now my friend. I'll see you again one day."

As the rest of his group said their goodbyes and turned to walk away, a sudden cold feeling washed over Naruto and he turned to look at the form of Gaara several feet behind him. A foreboding sense of premonition washed over him and he didn't want to go home at the moment. Sakura, Kakashi, and the rest watched as he sprinted back over to Gaara and placed both hands on the Kazekage's shoulders, alerting many to how close they were and causing many to fall into defensive stances. The Godaime Kazekage simply puzzled at the distressed look on his friend's face and unfolded his arms.

"What else do you need Naruto? Ask, and if its in my power, I shall help you."

"Gaara, I just had a bad feeling. I need you to promise me that if I ever need to, that I can come live here. I have a bad feeling about going back to Konoha, and I...I just don't know. Just say that I can come here if need be."

A ghost of a smile crept onto Gaara's face and he clapped a hand on Naruto's right shoulder as Naruto dropped his own.

"Uzumaki Naruto, you are forever more welcome in Sunagakure. If you ever need help or refuge, we will welcome you with open arms."

Naruto ducked his head and a single tear crawled down his face. At least, if worse ever came to worse, he was welcome in Gaara's village. Raising his head, he looked past his insomniac friend to the people of Suna and saw nothing but smiles and admiration. He closed his eyes again and stepped away from them all. He turned his head while walking away, and in the tiniest voice that carried on the wind, he whispered.

"Thank you all. I shall see you again soon."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The mission to destroy Akatsuki did not go as planned. Jiraiya was able to live, but he lost an arm to Pein. Sasuke and his Hebi group had engaged Itachi and had not done very well. The gap between the brothers was still as wide as a canyon. Hebi had run away, carrying their wounded leader, and the Konoha nins had not been able to pursue. Their main concern was getting Jiraiya back to the village and having Tsunade fix him up. The mission was a failure. Better to regroup and come out alive, than to pursue a foe that could destroy them all.

After much fussing and frantic crying from Tsunade over the stupidity of Jiraiya and his condition, the old hermit was fixed up and would be peeping on the girls again within months. Currently, he and Tsunade were sitting in the Hokage office with a very nervous Naruto. Tsunade cleared her throat and got his attention.

"Now Naruto, I want you to know that you're not in trouble. Jiraiya and I have something to tell you that will rock not only your world, but the foundation of Konoha as we know it."