chapter 18

The next few days passed peacefully. Well, peaceful compared to recent events. Almost like the aftermath of things.

Froststorm had awakened much more calmed, managing to think through everything and process it all. That she was safe now, and her Clan could easily take on whatever rogue group Rockfur was organizing. She couldn't deny that it was scary, though, having two of the rogues right in front of her camp and about to sneak in.

Right. About the Rockfur thing, how she spilled her thoughts to her parents and sister, claiming that he was still alive? Yeah, that was a bit of an issue.

But it wasn't too bad. Think about it. How would you feel if someone told you that a cat who's thought to be dead (and had a witness claiming he was) was actually alive and the one behind the murders of one's Clan? And how would you feel if all that was told to you whilst the speaker was having a breakdown.

Chances are that you wouldn't believe them, thinking it was just something from the heat of the moment.

And that's how Feathermist and Whitefang seemed to feel. They didn't tell anyone about Froststorm's claims nor brought it up again, instead checking on her just to make sure everything was okay.

Skyfrost, on the other paw, didn't seem to feel the same way.

She hasn't interacted much with any cat after Fawncloud's death, not bothering to glance at Froststorm even when the white she-cat was talking to her. But now, she kept shooting her sister curious looks, an expression of deep thought painted over her face.

After Froststorm's warnings, Swiftstar had posted guards at the entrance day and night. Oh, speaking of Swiftstar, the MoonClan leader had yet to choose her new deputy yet.

Was it considered bad luck to not have a deputy chosen by moonhigh of the day the deputy was gone from position? Sure. Was Swiftstar well over that due date by two days? Yes. Did Froststorm really believe in bad luck? Sometimes, but, she felt as though they'd already sunk to rock bottom.

Surely it couldn't get any worse.

Froststorm really had to stop thinking stuff like that, she was only jinxing herself. But it was truly what she'd believed when she padded across the plains to the Shadow Forest one day. She really needed to unload and talk things through with Fernleap, surely her friend would have something to say to help.

"Fernleap!" Froststorm yowled. "Are you here? I have some new news about Redpelt!" She ducked into Fernleap's make-shift den, sniffing the air, finding nothing but her friend's faint scent.

That's odd.

Froststorm backed out, yelping when she hit something. Spinning around, she spotted Flame. And the ginger tom did not look happy.

"Did I hear you say something about Redpelt?" he growled.

Froststorm's pelt twitched. "That's more between me and Fernleap, you've already made it clear you didn't want to be involved."

Flame lashed his tail. "I don't want you to get involved, either. Leave Redpelt's past alone!"

"Until my friend gets back into the Clan, I won't be leaving anything alone," Froststorm snapped, "speaking of which, where is Fernleap?"

Flame jerked back, looking displeased. "I don't know. She left a couple days ago, saying she was going to go save... you, actually. From WaterClan cats."

Froststorm's pelt fluffed. "Jayfrost and Blackfang must've told her what I was doing," she realized, "but it's been days. Why hasn't Fernleap returned yet? Unless..." Fear flickered within her at the thought. "She's been captured."

Flame looked surprised, but not particularly bothered. "Maybe."

Froststorm lashed her tail. "I need to go save her. Flame, can you come, please? You have much more fighting experience! It'll be a great help having you on our side." She was already preparing for a horrid battle ahead.

Flame shook his head. "No way."

"What?" Froststorm protested. "I thought you and Fernleap were friends!"

"Barely," Flame snorted, "it's more like we co-exist with each other. I'm too old for this fighting again, plus I left the Clans to get away from it."

Froststorm's ears pressed to the back of her head. "Where's your spirit? Come on, you've lived with her for moons now, surely there's still some Clan loyalty left in you!"

Those were the wrong words to say. She knew that as soon as they left her jaws. But she was desperate for as much help as she could get, and those less than persuasive words slipped out.

Flame's lips pulled into a snarl. "Clan loyalty. Pfft! That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

"I'm sorry, that just came out, I didn't-"

"Clan loyalty. Spirit," Flame spat, ignoring Froststorm. "Sounds like something you learned from your precious StarClan, hmm? 

"Well guess what! StarClan's never done anything good for the Clans, they've only made stupid rules and if anything, only offer more confusion to the future than guidance!" Flame's tail lashed. "Fernleap told me the Clans have lost contact with StarClan? Well guess what, you're better off without them."

Froststorm couldn't help but feel a strange sense of déjà vu. Moons ago, she'd been visited by a cat named Iceshade in her dream. Iceshade's past still remained mysterious to her, and she'd given up trying to figure it out quite a long time ago, but the words the gray tom had spoken just as Sunstar was bringing her away rendered deeply with her.

"StarClan never did anything good for you!"

Froststorm shivered, it was crazy how similar their feelings were.

Flame took a deep breath. "Listen, I hope you save Fernleap, I really do. You're right, we have lived together for moons, and I have formed a bond with her. 

"But the last time I let my emotions take the lead... Well, that's what's gotten me into this mess, I'm not going to let it happen again. I've come here to stay away from the Clans, and that's what I'll continue to do. Good luck, though."

Froststorm trotted back to camp, defeated. Flame might not help her, but there were two cats that definitely would.

"What?" Jayfrost's ears stood up in alarm. "She's still not back yet?"

"No, I think she was captured by WaterClan," Froststorm explained, "we need to go rescue her! How could you two let her go after me?!"

"In our defense," Blackfang meowed, "she was very angry looking and determined. Kind of like you are now." He was cracking jokes, but his eyes told Froststorm he was deeply worried.

"Alright," Froststorm mewed, "let's go, we need to go get Fernleap back from WaterClan before anything happens to her."

Jayfrost nodded before his eyes suddenly widened, staring at something behind Froststorm. Blackfang's body stiffened, gaze focused on whatever mysterious thing was standing behind the white she-cat.

"What?" Froststorm asked, pelt pricking. "What's behind me?"

Blackfang gulped, forcing a weak smile onto his face as he greeted the cat behind Froststorm. "Hi, Skyfrost."

~~~

Word Count: 1115

[Edited]

Hello! A bit of a filler chapter, just the aftermath of things, moving everything along, and setting everything up for the next few rescue chapters!! Not the most exciting, I know, but there's plenty (hopefully) to come soon!

Have an amazing day/night :)