Today

I wake up. Well, after my mother comes and wakes me up after the three alarms I set up kept ringing while I ignored them. Normal morning.
I hear my mother muttering, "God, what does she put 3 alarms for if she doesn't listen to them?"
I sit up on my bed and roll my eyes at her.

"Mom, I do listen to each alarm. Annoying as they might seem, they're still a warning for me, telling me, 'Hey! You can still sleep but not much longer. Get ready to wakey wakey soon.' Got it?"
I flop back to lay down, hoping I'll get at least five more minutes while Mom processes the information. Instead, confused, she mutters to herself, "Well, nothing but another moment where I, the parent, gets annoyed at their one of their children's antics but can't complain about it out loud."

"Wait, you do that?" I ask her, a bit uncomfortable.
"Yes, I do sometimes..." She pauses. "Wait, do what?" Seriously, sometimes parents just don't pay attention to what they're saying and just randomly forget stuff. It's irritating, really.

I look at her, annoyed because clearly she's expecting me to repeat what she just said. I sigh.
"Um, Mom? You just said, parents get annoyed at stuff their children do but can't complain about it so they just complain in their head."
Mom looks dignified. "No, Meg, I didn't! I thought I had said that in my head."

All the sudden, she gets this pensive look on her face and slowly she starts adding two and two. "Wait...no, I'm sure I said that in my head. I mean, I did say I can only complain about it in my head and not out loud. And come to think about, I was also complaining about your useless alarms, in my head."

I decide there's no way I can go back to sleep now, so I slowly get up to start to make my bed. Mom snaps her fingers. "Hey! I've got an idea. Meg, what am I thinking about right now?"
I look at her like she's crazy but suddenly I hear her voice speaking, and yet her lips aren't moving. "I'm thinking about how you're gonna be late for the bus, if you don't finish getting ready soon and I am not planning on driving you to school myself."

"Whoa, um, you just said that I'm gonna be late if I don't get ready soon and that——hey! why won't you drive me to school?!" I cross my arms, glaring at her.
She doesn't pay attention to me. "Oh my gosh. Did you just hear the thoughts in my head?"
I shrug. "Well, yeah, duh, 'cause you told me to." Then it hits me that I had never done that in my life. How come, now, I was suddenly able to read minds and listen to other people's inner thoughts? I'd always wished for that when I was younger, because there were soooo many things people refused to tell me but I still wanted to know.
"Holy shit! Did I just read your mind? I think I actually did! What the hell is going on here?!"
Mom stares at my like I'm some sort of UFO who just landed on our driveway. She can barely speak.
"I have absolutely no idea."