°•Chapter Five: Farewell, my friend.•°

"Dakota!" Dusty cried out as he and the fairies entered the clearing where Dakota was sprawled on the ground - doing a magnificent job of looking collapsed, if you asked Dusty. "Don't go into the light just yet, you lovable fruit of my heart! I have stumbled upon good Samaritans willing to save us!"

Like the absolute trouper he was, Dakota released a feeble wheeze that would have had Dusty convinced he was close to dying of he hadn't known better. His heart beat double time as he watched the fairies gather over the "fallen" stallion. When he was absolutely sure that each and every single one of them were hovering over Dakota, he sprung into motion.

"Dakota, now!" He yelled.

With a speed that left no question as to whether Dakota truly was feeling faint, the horse rolled away from beneath the fairies. From underneath him; Dusty's blanket went flying up, having been triggered by the horse's motion, and snagged the fairies up, entrapping them as it hung mid-air.

From inside the blanket that Dusty had converted into a springing bird trap, the two heard several cries of fury from the fairies.

"I can't believe we actually pulled it off!" Dusty breathed in awe as he stood next to his construction, feeling a mixture of pride and disbelief.

"Dustin!" Dakota nipped at his shirt, pulling him back into the direction in which he and the fairies had approached the clearing. "We need to leave. Now."

"Right!" Dusty agreed, running behind Dakota as they made their way back to the little village.

"Do you see anything that we can use to cut your sister out of those ropes?" Dakota asked as they ran.

"I'll just use some of those sticks we saw them sharpening last night!" Dusty breathlessly resolved.

Finally, they reached the fairy village, swatting away at the few of them that still remained there. In no time, Dusty had found a stick sharper than a blade - he really had to hand it to those fairies; they knew their violence - and was approaching a still-confused Scarlett.

"What's going on?" She exclaimed, her mind no longer foggy with sleep. "Dusty, what are you doing here? And why am I tied up?"

"It's a long story," Dusty breathed out as he severed away at the ropes that held Scarlett bound. "But the gist of it...is that you're an idiot."

"Dustin!" Dakota chimed in.

"What?!" Dusty exclaimed, never once stopping as he hacked away at the tight bonds. "It's true. If puddle-brain over here hadn't fallen for all of this monkey business, none of us would be here!"

"Dustin!" Dakota interrupted once more, and this time, Dusty actually stopped, because Dakota sounded alarmed.

Dusty turned around and saw why; the very unsightly cluster of fairies had somehow set themselves free from his trap and were flying like bats out of hell - but if the bats had pallid, gaunt faces and fat paunches - and straight for the three of them.

"Merlin's beard!" He cried out. Luckily, he had cut through most of the ropes binding his sister, so she was able to set herself free from the remaining few.

"What in the...?" Scarlett breathed, probably in shock of seeing the true, ugly veneers behind the fraudulently benevolent facades of her not-so-friendly hosts.

"They were going to eat you, Scarlett! Don't you get it?!" Dusty exploded. "And they will if you don't run!"

Luckily, Scarlett's feet were not quite as slow to catching up with the danger as her mind was. In a second, she was in stride with Dusty and Dakota as they ran away from the fairies like their lives depended on it (which they did).