Day Five: Stars

NYA POV

My feet felt light returning to my RV. Thoughts of Jay and our new relationship swirl my brain, making it impossible to stop smiling. When I step into my summer home, my mom was the first to catch onto my elated mood. She is washing berries at the sink. She smirks and gives me a nod. Kai is too enveloped in a video game to notice me enter. My dad sneaks up behind my mom and pops a berry into his mouth. When he looks up at me, his smile drops.

"Did he try anything?" My dad grumbles.

"He'd never," I say, even though I don't know Jay very well. But the hypothermia fiasco showed me how trustworthy he is.

My mom gasps, reading my expression. The noise makes Kai look up from his portable video game.

"He asked you out, didn't he?" she says. How did she gather that information? Am I that obvious? Kai puts down his console and joins the conversation.

"So he's chosen death," Kai says.

My dad nonchalantly crosses the trailer, grabbing his jacket off the hook by the door.

"Where does he live?" My dad says. My family is so overprotective!

"It was a mutual decision. He didn't ask me out... but we're together."

I feel bad for the neighbours who have to deal with my entire family screaming over each other. I cover my ears, reminding myself that this shouting was proof that my family loves me. It just doesn't feel like it. It feels like they hate Jay. And I take that personally.

You think after all the time I've been indifferent to romance, they'd trust me when I decide that I'm ready. I've never attempted to pursue a guy. They seem to like me; guys ask me out all the time at school. My friends say it's because I'm pretty. I think I'm average.

But Jay was different than all my classmates. He's worth my affection. He deserves more than I can give him.

"We need to get to know him better," my mom says, "Nya, invite him for supper." She walks over and guides my dad back into the trailer. At least my mom is semi-reasonable by not allowing my dad to go on an evening hunt for any potential love interest in my life.

"We're not going to let that pervert near Nya," Kai says, "It's too soon for them to get together. It's been a couple of days!" That's true. And I know I'm being a stupid teen; letting my hormones guide my decisions. But the other part of me knows that what I have with Jay is special.

"I don't think he'd be comfortable having supper with us," I say. I could hear him complaining about being potentially murdered now.

"Nya, you're not allowed to date him if we can't meet him. We have to decide he's good enough for you," my dad says, "He looks a little shifty, that one."

"Oh, stop it," my mom swats my dad's arm, "Nya's grown up. I trust her judgement."

"Four days. You've known him for four days," Kai says. And in those four days, he's taught me the importance of family (which is the only reason I'm not storming out of the trailer), saved my life, showed me his swoon-worthy paternal skills, proven himself brave and trustworthy, and is super cute!

"I'll ask him," I say, "No guarantees. And if he comes, you can't harass him."

"Harass him? You have to rough him up so he knows how much trouble he'll be in if he even thinks to hurt you," my dad says.