Sweetness

I stared at the blood artifacts, trying to process what he was saying. Someone was making sacrifices to Set? Who would do such a thing?

Standing up, Striker looked at the bloodied items in disgust, "Come on, darlin'. Let's get out of here."

His voice was a low growl as he took my elbow and led me from the small chamber. Taking the torch from me, he led us out of the temple and back out into the softly lit street. 

"I need you to think," Striker said in that same tone, "Who would want to sacrifice sinners to...a god?"

I closed my eyes, trying to think of who would want to Set's favor so bad they would resort to sacrificing their fellow sinners. Gentle hands cupped my cheeks. When I opened my eyes, Striker's bright gaze met mine. 

"Not all of us are like this," I murmured, feeling shame that someone in the temples I had built would do such a thing. There were sinners who had heard rumors that we performed sacrifices to our gods, and came to see if it was true. They always left disappointed, but the rumors still hurt, no matter how untrue. 

"I know," Striker replied. Then he tipped his head down, his lips brushing against mine in a soft kiss. My eyes flickered closed once more, savoring the sweetness of this moment after such bitter shock and cruelness.