Chapter Ten

At Rosaline's Kingdom!

"Princess Rosaline," one of the servants called. "Are you ready for the ball? Many people are requesting to see you."

"Yes, yes. I'm coming." The beautiful princess stepped out of her room and began to make her way down. "When will my parents be back?"

"Oh, Princess." The servant began. "They should be back in the next week or so. They are visiting the Kingdom of the Hills at this very moment."

"That's good to know. I wish my parents could come back sooner. I hate these dreadful balls. Every month we have to talk to the townsfolk. My parents say, 'Building a strong relationship with our people is important.' Don't get me wrong; I like them. But I wish I didn't have to talk to every single one. Most people promote their businesses and talk to me like they haven't seen a human in ages. Oh, and don't get me started on the old people."

"Princess," the servant interrupted. "You're ranting again."

"Oh, sorry. I'll stop." Rosaline reminded herself.

They walked further down the never-ending hallway and finally approached the ballroom. Many people were there, including the stranger who witnessed the destruction of the Kingdom of the Hills. Rosaline greeted many people, plastering a fake smile onto her face. Every time she danced with someone new, the constant reminder flooded her mind; "I can't wait to get this over with."

After talking to many people, she then bumped into a stranger. "May I have this dance, Princess?"

"Sure, why not," she said in an irritated tone.

The stranger tried to lighten the mood. "Rosaline, right?"

"Yes, you are correct. What is your name?"

"I'm Akio. Akio Hoshino."

"Well, what brings you here, Akio?" Rosaline asked.

"Are you aware of the current circumstances happening outside your kingdom?"

"Well," Rosaline began. "I'm not too sure what you mean. Do you want me to say the status of all the kingdoms? Here, I can name them all. You pick which one to talk about."

"No, that won't be necessary." Akio glanced away and then looked back. "You aren't aware of the situation, are you?"

"Well, if you seem to know everything, then why don't you tell me." Rosaline tried to keep her fake smile beaming on her face. "He thinks that he's so much smarter than me. Of course, I know what is happening in each kingdom. What's he trying to get at?"

"Princess. Do you know about Demolition?" Akio asked, waiting for the woman's response.

She shuttered at his question. "Yes, of course," she stated. "Why wouldn't I know?"

"Do you know that he has been destroying kingdoms?" After Akio spoke, there followed a long pause.

"What?! What do you mean?" Rosaline spoke in confusion.

"Every kingdom has been wiped out, cleansed of all life. He has been working on this for years. He wants to take over this entire planet. Your kingdom is next." Rosaline was shocked by the statement. Overwhelmed, she then thought about her parents.

"Are they gone?"

She then snapped out of her thoughts. "How do I know this is all true? If this has been going on for years, how haven't I been informed?"

"Princess," Akio spoke softly. "After they destroy a kingdom, there are no witnesses left."

Rosaline stood there, shocked. "My parents are dead." She thought.

"Where did you come from then?"

"I came from the Resistance. We are trying to stop Demolition and his plans. I came here to ask if you will join us?" Akio looked at her with hope in his eyes.

"Heh," Rosaline laughed. "I guess I don't have a choice, do I? OK, I'll come to the Resistance and see what this is all about. As long as it prevents my kingdom from being destroyed."

"I better be careful. I still don't fully trust this guy. He looks like a genuine and friendly person but could be hiding something. I'll just have to bring some of my well-trusted bodyguards."

"If you are free tomorrow, I could escort you to the Resistance with some of your bodyguards. Does that sound OK with you?"

Rosaline pondered and said, "Yep, that sounds good. Better not plan anything funny. I got my eyes on you, Mr. Hoshino."

Akio was caught off guard by her statement. "Oh... Don't worry," he said shakily. "Everything will be fine. I promise."

"OK," she said as she side-eyed him. "This better be good."

As Akio and Rosaline finished talking, they both went their separate ways. The Princess concluded the ball for the night. Sending everyone home, she exhaled a sigh of relief. Just before heading to her room, she ran into her servant.

"Ooh. Who was that?" She teased.

"Some guy," Rosaline said.

"Oh, seriously. That was no guy. You danced with him for quite a while. Something tells me you like him."

Rosaline's cheeks turned rosy red. "No, I do not," She crossed her arms and huffed with denial. "He was just an ordinary guy who informed me about stuff. Now, this is none of your business, Christie. And that is that. I'm going to bed now. Goodnight!"

"Man, someone seems a little too defiant." The servant known as Christie smirked.

"Go away. I'll see you tomorrow morning, and that is final." Rosaline ordered as she headed to her room.

"Whatever you say, Princess." They both went their separate ways for the night.