Chapter Twenty

One Week Later

"Thank you all for coming to this Kingdom's Annual Ball," Abaddon rose a glass poured with champagne. "I apologize for the late announcement, but this is truly a time to celebrate."

A thunderous clap echoed through the castle's ballroom. It eventually faded out before Abbadon began again.

"We have conquered every kingdom on this planet, and with our greatest victory, defeating the Resistance. It is safe to say that there are no more people on this planet except us in this room. It truly has been a great honor."

"I'm going to announce that we'll depart tomorrow morning. We will all be riding in my spaceship and traveling to a new planet. If they agree to join, you'll have more friends. If not, there'll be another blood bath tomorrow."

Everyone cheered once again. Abaddon smiled with amusement.

"Now, enjoy your evening. Because tomorrow is the mark of our grand adventure."

As Abaddon sat back on his throne, the music began to play. The king smiled while overlooking everyone. He especially loved to see Kaito's struggling face as he tried to fit back into his old home.

Yumiko sat next to Abaddon. She didn't want anything to do with him. Every time Abaddon would try to spark a conversation, she would reply with a one-word answer. She didn't feel the need to talk to him.

"Come on, Yumiko. What's with the somber face? Not enjoying everything we ever dreamed of?" Abaddon tried to poke fun at Yumiko.

Yumiko stared into the distance, her back facing him.

Abaddon sighed, "You'll come around eventually."

Down below in the midst of people, survivors from the Resistance were chained up together. They all stood in a single-file line in the corner, overlooking the ballroom. Kaito and Akio were chained on opposite ends, making it difficult to consult with one another. In between them were the only remaining Resistance survivors. There was Carlos, Nova, and Rosaline.

Carlos stood next to Kaito, muttering curse words under his breath. It surprised Kaito because Carlos seemed like a calm and composed figure. His cursing got worse as Jeremy approached them.

"Hahaha!" He laughed while mocking his 'friends', "Wow, look at you guys. Are you comfortable in those chains?"

Carlos gritted his teeth, "We trusted you," his deep voice rumbled.

"And?" Jeremy questioned. "You have to learn that you can't trust people in this world. Oh, and how is your sister?"

Carlos shivered, wincing in pain.

"Oh, right. She's dead," Jeremy mocked Carlos before turning to Kaito.

Carlos lunged at Jeremy, slightly pulling everyone else that was chained up. They all stumbled forward but stopped right as a guard pulled back on the chain. The guard gripped Carlos's arm, tasing him with their power. Carlos crumbled to his knees, trying to regain strength.

Jeremy watched Carlos in disdain, "No wonder you let your sister die."

As Kaito watched Carlos wilt with sadness, he was reminded of himself.

Kaito almost had enough of Jeremy. He clenched his fist but stepped back. There was really nothing he could do in the situation.

"And you," Jeremy turned toward Kaito. "Don't think I forgot about you."

"What do you want?"

"What do I want?" Jeremy's unhinged personality began to reveal itself, "I want to annoy you, the same way you annoy me."