In Which the Dream Team SMP Has Its First Casualty

Work on the Community House slogged on, though as they drew further into winter, the work slowed to a near-stop. I still think a lake house would have been a better choice, Sapnap thought as he helped George slide a large hunk of carved stone into place on the emerging walls.

"Hey, Sap, can you focus, please?" said George, glaring at him from across the stone.

"I am focusing!"

"No, you had that evil smirk on your face and you almost dropped the block. Stop thinking of – oh, I don't know, murdering Dream and I in our sleep and actually help me!"

Sapnap looked right at George and let go of the stone. George fumbled with his end and dropped it – onto his foot. His eyes bulged and his lips tightened over what must have been a curse. Sapnap burst out laughing.

"Oh, George!"

George crouched and rubbed his booted foot, scowling up at Sapnap. "We would make more significant progress if you actually took it seriously."

Sapnap scoffed. "Puh-lease, Georgie-Porgie. Lighten up. We work all day, everyday. And since we basically have everything we need, including an amazing leaky cabin, what's the rush?"

George stood. "Come on, Sap. We need to keep working. You said so yourself; winter is coming. Technically it's here.We need to get this done before the first snowstorm."

Sapnap flopped down on the ground. "This is so boring. We don't even know how bad it's going to be. Even if there is going to be a snowstorm, there's no way we're going to finish this thing before then."

George could not possibly look more pretend-shocked. "Sap, you are so flighty. How did you manage to complete anything back home?"

"I dunno. Don't care. That's the past. This is now. And right now, I'm bored. Can't we have a party or something? You liked partying back in the day, didn't you?"

"You and Dream wanted to stay here and form a country. Remember?"

Why does he have to take the fun out of everything?

Sapnap folded his arms behind his head. "When do you think Alyssa will get here?"

George groaned, but sat beside Sapnap, drawing his knees up to his chest. "We don't even know if that man we gave the letter to was trustworthy. He might have forgotten to post it. And even if he did, it might take weeks – months for the letter to reach her. We don't even know where this country is in relation to the rest of the continents. It all feels rather...otherworldly."

"Oh, like the creepers and walking skeletons didn't tip you off before."

George seethed. "You know what I mean, Sap."

"Actually, I don't." Sapnap yawned.

"Sap! Ugh! You are insufferable."

Sapnap stood. "You know what, instead of sitting here and talking about stupid stuff with you, I'm going to go be productive. See you later, loser."

"SAP –!"

Sapnap found Dream attempting to build a chair so they could rest their weary bones elsewhere besides the cold, hard ground. It was a valiant effort for someone with zero fine carpentry skills. Sapnap could tell just by looking at it, though, that it would make a better decoration than a usable chair. Covering it with a blanket or hiding it behind the cabin might even improve it.

"Hey, Dream, can I borrow Spirit?"

Dream paused sanding the "chair" and looked up at Sapnap. "Why?" He sounded suspicious. "Remember last time?"