1

The first time I saw her, I nearly broke my clarinet gripping it so hard.

It was the first day of school. I was a sophomore, it was sixth period and I had just walked into orchestra. I knew I hadn't seen her the year before.

She was across the room from me, talking to the teacher as she inspected her violin. I didn't think much of it, but archons, was she pretty.

I looked for a moment too long, and her gaze shifted towards me. I felt my face go hot and squeezed my clarinet, quickly looking at the floor.

I regret wishing for a new girl to be at school this year.

Venti met her too. He came up to me after school, asking if I'd seen the new girl in orchestra class.

"Did you see her?!" he asked, excitement sparkling in his green eyes. "She's a junior, she's in my choir class and said she plays violin too! I was talking to her on the way to lunch and thought you'd love to meet her.. I think the two of you would get along so well, Xiangling, she seems so cool-"

I cut him off. "I was waaay too nervous to talk to her, so.."

"Oh, well that's no problem! You have plenty of time! Go, Xiangling!" He pats me on the shoulder, overly energetic as always. "I gotta go, my curfew is all weird this week, but I'll see you tomorrow!" Without even giving me a chance to respond, he's off.

As always.

I sighed, pulling my hoodie off and mentally preparing myself to go to work. I spent my afternoons at my father's restaurant, helping him out behind the counter and bussing tables whenever he needed it. It was a small place but it made me happy to hide there, doing my homework in between tasks.

I never had to think about Xinyan there.