Chapter 6: Consciousness

Where... Where was he?...
He gazed around groggily. His mind was fuzzy, like he had been slammed into concrete from 100 meters away.
He tried to clear his mind, but he couldn't. He couldn't move. He couldn't see, either.
What was happening? Had he... died? No, if he had died he would have just ceased to exist. He didn't have a soul...
The last thing he remembered was... what was the last thing he remembered?... he couldn't remember what he remembered... nothing made sense.
Then, he felt like he was suffocating. He heard multiple voices in his head, whispering unintelligible sentences.
That's right... He was fighting...
He put up his shield again, how could he have possibly allowed himself to sleep?! There were people he needed to protect!
The other being - or beings, it wasn't clear - was forced back by a crystal the Alchemist formed around his consciousness. He didn't know if he had control over his body... probably not. That thing was strong. He just hoped it hadn't been able to hurt anyone yet. He needed to gather his strength to fight this monster off. Though... that didn't seem possible at this point. He could barely keep his consciousness from being destroyed...
If he could just... rest for a moment... then maybe...
What was that?!
Albedo was snapped awake by a repetition of sounds.
It sounded like... footsteps?
Albedo faught to listen. He could feel that dark being trying to keep him from hearing. He strained with all his might.

Lisa awoke with a start, sitting up abruptly. She clutched her chest, why was her heart beating so fast?!
She hurriedly grabbed a lantern and went outside her room. As she walked out she felt herself being pulled towards the basement...
This couldn't be good.
She descended as fast as she could, growing more and more concerned.
Finally, she turned the corner and gazed into the cell.
It was the same. Albedo's husk hadn't moved.
Lisa didn't like how it looked in there. She carefully entered the cell, her heart wavering. She tentatively set the lamp down as she knelt in front of Albedo.
In her nightgown, Lisa shivered. She cursed her taste in clothes as she reached out to the corpse. Well, she couldn't really call it that... a shell, maybe...
She gave it a poke.
Nothing.
Of course, she sighed, "Klee's convinced you're waiting for us..."
It was silent.
"I'm not so sure... but, I'm trying to find a way to bring you back. I... don't know how alchemy works... but you must have something like a soul... I'm getting close, I can feel it..." she carefully closed his eyelids. She couldn't stand seeing those lifeless eyes. They looked the same as when he was...
Could she even say he was alive?...
Lisa stood, taking the lamp and stepping backwards out of the cell.
Right before she turned around, she caught a movement. She held her hand out in defense, waiting for that black smoke to come surging out of the shell.
It's eyes slowly opened and it exhaled dryly.
Lisa carefully approached again.
The eyes didn't move, but air was being pushed out of its lungs.
Golden liquid leaked from the corner of its mouth as it began to move.
"Lisa...?"
Lisa was frozen in shock. She dropped the lamp, the light almost going out. "Albedo?! Albedo are you okay?! Thank goodness you're alive?!" She started crying unknowingly. She was just so happy.
"I'm... trying..." his voice was strained and very quiet.
"Albedo?! How bad is it in there?!"
"Klee..."
Lisa felt like this was urgent but she also felt like she owed Albedo a lot... "Klee's fine, though a little shaken. She said you weren't dead! I'm so glad I believed her!"
The corners of its lips twitched upwards for a moment, "I..."
"Albedo I'm so sorry," Lisa gripped her clothes tightly, "it's my fault you're having so much trouble! But I'm afraid that if I take my spell off of you that thing will get back in!"
"...I understand..."
"Just hold on a little longer," Lisa was afraid to touch him, but she wanted to reach out. It felt like he might disappear if she touched him... "I'll find a way to bring you back for good."
Before she finished her sentence she could feel that he was gone. She took a shuddering breath. She was relieved, but knew that the longer he was trapped in there, the less likely she would be able to bring him back...
"I promise."
She couldn't let anyone know he was still there... She didn't want them to have that kind of dangerous hope...
She stood up, grabbing her damaged lamp. She couldn't afford to go back to bed. She needed to figure this out *now*.