Chapter 03 ~ Fear

The classroom was hushed. No one spoke a word, in fear of what would happen if they had spoken out of turn. Fear clouded the minds of every student present. This wasn't any one they were dealing with. They were talking to head, the authority. They hadn't seen the principal till this date, and now, due to a prank the principal was glaring at them, here to give them a good scolding. Even the professor felt slightly intimidated.

Ranbir sighed as he knew what would happen. He may be considered a bully but only few knew the real him, and he hoped his parents would never have to meet the person he was at college. Maybe his parents would've agreed to let him stay at home if they knew the real reason he wanted to avoid college, or maybe they would ask him to fight back. He wasn't sure which would be more likely, but one thing he knew for sure was that he wasn't ready to tell anyone else. The last time he had revealed his secret things had gotten.. nasty, and a little bloody too. He feared what would become of his family if they ever came to know. They would probably hurt physically, mentally and emotionally. They'd be hurt that he had done such things to innocent people, though he really didn't want to. Sometimes he would be ashamed of himself for doing such a thing.

He frowned when he noticed Darsh signalling him something. He knew well what he was trying to say and cursed his fates. Every time Darsh did something like this, he would turn to him for help and the only thing Ranbir could do was agree to him. He hated what was doing and he knew both in his conscious and subconscious mind that every bit of it was wrong. He wouldn't be surprised if his parents hated him after learning about his acts. He hated himself despite knowing why he was doing this. He felt himself shiver as the principal smirked at him and signalled something to him. The rest of the class was fooled in thinking that Darsh would be punished for causing that girl to have a panic attack but only he knew that Darsh would get away unpunished again. And his best friend, Rohan, would support him no matter what Darsh was doing.

"I do not want any of you to repeat what Darsh did. If you did, you will instantly be expelled. A fire is no joke, many people have faced trauma due to it and your new classmate has clearly experienced one." the principal declared in a strict, intimidating tone. Ranbir shivered as did many of the other students, though only three of them knew that the principal's warning was only really to those who didn't pay enough fees every year.

Prachi swallowed her tears. She had fallen weak the other day and she wouldn't fall weak again. She would remain strong, for her sister, her parents. She had to. No one but Shahana and Ranbir noticed the constant shivering Prachi was doing even after the principal left.

"Prachi, don't you think you shouldn't have come here, today? That would've given your mind at least one day to rest. And your family is also coming a few days later. So, wouldn't it be best if you wait for them to come before continuing classes here?" Shahana, who had seated herself next to Prachi again, asked.

"No. I was just overwhelmed yesterday, I don't mind fires too much." Prachi lied not sounding convincing in the slightest.

Ranbir who was observing the duo from afar felt himself drown in guilt. He could've had Darsh punished, if only he didn't make that mistake. He cursed himself for before it was only people who Darsh had some sort of enmity with that suffered. But now, now, an innocent girl was reliving a trauma all due to Darsh. Ranbir bitterly chuckled to himself and ignored the questioning look the person sitting next to him gave him. He wanted to do something to help, he really did but he couldn't.

The class continued and the bell finally rang, though no one was paying attention to the professor. Majority of the class was either feeling worried for the new girl or gossiping about how easily frightened she got and making fun of her. Ranbir was feeling even more guilty after hearing the jokes some were making about Prachi. Darsh and his friend were simply ignoring the talks about the girl and continued on with their work and thinking of ways to get back at their rivals.

Prachi, Prachi was so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't even noticed the bell ring. Shahana shook Prachi, after attempting to call her for around ten times.

"Prachi, the bell has rang! It's time for your next class," Shahana told her while Prachi nodded, not paying much attention to her.

"Cockroach!" screamed Shahana and ran to the back of the classroom, followed by a frightened Prachi.

"Where's the cockroach?" Prachi asked, with furrowed eyebrows.

"No where, I just thought that it would bring you out of your thoughts," Shahana revealed surprising Prachi.

"How did you know I was scared of cockroaches?"

"Who isn't?" Shahana had hoped to get some sort of smile from Prachi.

"Good point," Prachi said with a light chuckle. Shahana sighed as she had finally managed to make Prachi happy.

The two followed the rest of their class out of the classroom and trotted off to their next classes, hoping that there would be a better atmosphere there than there was here.

================================================================================================================================================================

The principal smiled to himself in the confines of his cabin. He would be a billionaire soon, if this was things went on. He was feeling quite proud of himself as he had not only managed to get the students in the college to win a million dollars worth of money, he had also been able to get a decent amount of money to excuse the students' misbehaviour.

He whistled a tune to himself as he had a feeling that things would be perfect from here on outwards. As long as the students and faculty feared him, he could get them to pay any amount of money to him. Someone knocked on his door and he internally groaned. Why couldn't these people just let him be at peace?!

He turned his chair around, in order to make his back face the door and the person who was about to come in. "You can come in," he instructed. He felt his body stiffen as he heard the extremely familiar voice of the person. It couldn't be. Not after all these years. Could it?

================================================================================================================================================================

(1100+ words)

So, who is the person at the end? (I know, this is fairly unpredictable)

Did you guys like the update?

Do comment!

I'll update soon.