Chapter 4

The musical sound of an alarm was the first thing that I woke up to, my eyes barely managed to open as the sight that greeted me was Nanoha-chan lying face forward on top of me. A blush of nervousness and embarrassment formed on my face as I quickly closed my eyes and pretended to sleep. Weren't the two of us facing separately when we went to sleep?

Why is this happening now? Nanoha groaned as she also began to wake up, reaching for her pink flip phone to dismiss the alarm. Those efforts had proven to be futile as it only resulted in her phone falling to the ground. Nanoha scooted forward and stood up, stretching out her arms to let out a yawn. "What a strange dream." Nanoha commented to herself, her grogginess meant that she luckily did not notice me at the time.

I'll have to ask Nanoha's parents if I could buy a futon or sleeping bag of my own until I get to know Nanoha a little better. I'd bet that if Illya's mystic code, Magical Ruby were here, she'd definitely be getting a kick out of this and recording everything that was happening for future use. Opening my eyes, I sit up and manage to stand up on my own as well.

A lot of things ran through my mind but at least I was able to successfully enroll at school. That talk from last night, I was surprised that Nanoha decided to directly confront me. If Illya were in that position, she would have pretended that she didn't notice but Nanoha's quite assertive on the other hand. Nanoha was the first to exit the bedroom and make her way to the bathroom As she walked out, I projected the school uniform that Nanoha was wearing, using alteration magecraft in order for the uniform to fit my size. 

 "Ohayo, Nanoha-chan." I greeted, stepping into the bathroom and next to Nanoha to face the mirror. "Ohayo, Kuro-chan." Nanoha replied with a casual greeting of her own. Today would be my first day at school, and of my new life as an elementary student in this new parallel universe. What kind of greeting should I give my classmates? I'm Chloe von Einzbern, but feel free to call me Kuro! I'm a fourth grader at Seisho Elementary, a private school. In the Emiya family, I'm the middle child, but Illya insists for me to call her onee-chan. The girl next to me is my new friend, Nanoha Takamachi, the youngest daughter of the Takamachi family. 

If this were a magical girl anime like the ones Illya, Miyu, and I often watched, that would have been the perfect introduction for a narrating protagonist. Nanoha-chan herself has characteristics of a main heroine, especially with that happy-go-lucky attitude of hers. Perhaps this is the first episode and she's also making a similar inner monologue to the one I just thought up of. Nobody said that magical girls can't be real, Illya and Miyu were magical girls after all so who's to say Nanoha can't be one? 

Following Nanoha to the living room, the both of us proceeded to greet Nanoha's parents. "Ohayo!" Nanoha and I say in unison. "Oh, Nanoha, Kuro-chan, ohayo!" The woman greeted in reply with a warm smile of her own. Nanoha's father, temporarily putting down his newspaper also greeted us. "Ohayo, Nanoha, Kuro-chan." The man greeted to us. Nanoha's mother bent down with a tray carrying many mugs, handing it over to Nanoha. "Here, take these please?" Nanoha's mother asked to her. "Hai-" Nanoha gave a prompt reply, carrying the tray with her to the table. "My daugher is growing up, she woke up on her own." The man commented affectionately to Nanoha as he grabbed one of the mugs from the tray. 

"Breakfast is almost ready." Nanoha's mother announces. As is expected as a guest in a household, I didn't immediately sit down as I would have if I were at home. "Where's onii-chan and onee-chan?" Nanoha asked out of curiosity. The man paused to consider the question before turning his head over. "They might be at the dojo." He replies. Nanoha nods and heads off in that direction. "You don't have to be too polite, you're Nanoha's friend after all. Please, sit." The man indicated to me with a smile and I gladly accept the gesture, finding a seat of my own and sitting down at the table.