VIII

I have been waiting hours for it to be my turn for the individual evaluation.
I don't really even know what I'm best at. I guess I did good with the bow. I may as well do it with that. This is my chance to get people to like me enough to sponsor me. That's the only way you can survive if you're someone like me.

We were all placed into this very bland, metal room with benches where we had to wait for our turn. Since it was going by district I was dead last, so I was there for awhile.

"Zak Green!"
I hear my name finally being called through the loud speaker. Instant flashbacks.

I get up and walk through the large metal doors. I walk back into the training room, looking up at the big room where everyone is watching me from. I walk over and grab a bow, keeping my eye on the people the entire time. They weren't paying attention at all. They must have been bored of being there for that long. I let out a frustrated sigh, trying to come up with a way to get their attention that isn't just me yelling at them. They wouldn't like that.

That's when I spot one of those fancy circular dart boards that rich people use for entertainment. It was about the size of a soccer ball. I can hit that. I aim, waiting for people to get out of the way so I don't hurt anyone. I take deep breaths, knowing this was a bad idea, but at that moment I was just letting my emotions control me at that point.

Once I get a clear shot I fire. Everything went in slow motion as I watched the arrow fly through the air and hit the dart board dead centre. Everyone jumps a bit, slowly looking my way in shock. I just give them a quick smile "Zak Green, district twelve." I state before setting the bow down and walking out.

"What were you thinking?! What if you accidentally hit someone instead! Or- or... killed someone! You would be executed on the spot!" Eret lectures me in a frantic tone.
"There's my sharp shooter!" Sam exclaims as he walks into the room. "Don't praise him for his actions!" Eret yelled at Sam, letting out a big sigh before plopping down onto the leather couch. Sam just gives me a thumbs up with a smile.

I knew what I did was wrong, but they were being jerks, and I will NOT let those arrogant rich bastards disrespect me like that.
"What you did was really cool." Minx whispers, leaning in but not looking in my direction. I smile at the compliment. "Thanks."