𝑶𝑵𝑬

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑶𝑵𝑬 ߊ 𝑇𝐻𝐸 𝐷𝐼𝑆𝐶𝑂𝑈𝑅𝑆𝐸

"My friends call me Mia. It flows much lovelier, don't you think?"

➶ ➴↶*ೃ✧˚. ❃ ↷ ˊ-

SHE AWOKE TO THE AWFUL sound of the Chief Overseer's keys jangling together. A cold chill went down her spine as the metal scrapped against each other. With every step the man took, the more she became aware of her surroundings. The once empty cells surrounding her were now filled with slaves, a punishment for rioting against the crown. 

Squinting her eyes opened, she was blinded by the morning sun. 

Not thinking much of the Chief Overseer's visit, she sunk deeper against the wall she'd been chained to. She hoped for more rest before the whippings began again. They'd beaten her senseless that night, though the Chief Overseer had been thrilled with her work.

Perhaps he was here for another round of lashing. 

She couldn't guarantee she'd live past the day if so.

Closing her eyes, she imagined the sunlight carrying her far from the cold mines of the forgotten. She listened intently as the pair of footsteps grew closer. 

Her interest was sparked when hearing only one other set of footsteps. Normally she counted four; two guards, an Overseer, and a slave being dragged to and from the area. They hardly did rounds, but when they had, they were usually always in groups consisting of three or four.

Never two.

Ever since the twins had been sentenced into the mines, ever since Celaena had killed one of the overseers, the king had deemed it unsafe for only two guards. Not that either of the sisters had any plans on killing another soldier. A year had quickly come and gone, the will to spit on their punishment depleting faster every day. 

The first footsteps she recognized as Gavins, the chief overseer. She could almost taste his ego from her spot on the ground. He was a nasty bastard, one that held enough cruelty to keep her silent in fear. It was the second set of footsteps that caused her to pause. It reminded her of a soldier marching to the sound of war. A city guard perhaps. Or a soldier in the king's army.

Just outside of her cell, the keys of the Chief Overseers was inserted into the door protecting the world from the monster within.

"Miandia Sardothien."