Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Amy was still sleeping when Ana got back to the house and once assured that she was fine, Ana went to play with the baby for a while.

It was strange really, that while holding and playing with the baby, knowing full well she had just murdered his father, she felt no guilt whatsoever.

She wanted to call Tom so that she could celebrate with him, but he had warned her on multiple occasions to never ever say anything over a phone, by email or by text. Would he be proud of her? She hoped so.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl as she waited for the news to break that Wells was dead. With aching slowness, one hour passed, then two, then three. Were they never going to discover Wells? If she gave a shit, she'd sue that care home for not checking on Wells more regularly!

She couldn't settle to anything, so she decided to work out in the gym Wells had set up for Amy. He might not like his wife to leave the house, but he expected her to look perfect. Arsehole! She was still exercising when the butler came in.

"PC Black is here to see Mrs Wells, Ma'am," he said once she bade him to enter.

"Is she awake yet?"

"I don't believe so."

"Okay, I'll check on her. Please offer him some refreshments and I'll be down soon."

She didn't bother to check on Amy, other than walking to her bedside, because she had no intention of waking her up for this news. After waiting the requisite amount of time, she headed downstairs to see Black.

"I'm so sorry to keep you waiting," she said, offering her hand to shake. "Excuse my attire, I was just working out."

"Is Mrs Wells joining us?"

"She's been poorly all day. The doctor came and gave her an antiemetic and a sedative earlier and she's still asleep. Is there something wrong? I thought the investigation into the accident had been closed?"

"It has been, Ma'am but... I'm very sorry to have to tell you this, but Mr Wells passed away this afternoon?"

She thought she looked suitably shocked. She hoped she did. This was actually more nerve-wracking than killing the man.

"What? Why? What happened?"

"It seems he had a heart attack, but we'll have to wait for the autopsy to be certain."

"Oh God," she buried her head in her hands. "This is my fault!"

"Pardon?"

She looked up. "When Amy was sick I offered to visit Damien today, I bought him some books, thinking I could read to him or something, but he got so mad at me! I didn't like the man but he didn't deserve to die. It's all my fault!"