Chapter Twelve - William

Micheal

I looked up at them, holding the book open to a random page. “A lull is -” I started but Marrissa cut me off. “Smoke.” She inquired and began sniffing. “Fire.” She said, “run!” She yelled and we began to run. I heard a thud as the book I’d dropped hit the ground. Back up the steps and out the door. I ran with Marrissa as we headed for the backdoor, unable to through the front as that would only lead to more trouble for Marrissa. 

I turned my head slightly to see where William was and he was pushing the wall back over the door. “Idiot.” I said under my breath and sprinted for him and grabbed his arm. The wall was shut and I pulled and he ran with me. We ran side by side through the burning flames. I could faintly see Marrissa all the way ahead of us. 

The smoke was blinding and I was coughing and spluttering and William was too. “Marrissa!” William yelled behind me, she whipped her head around and used her arm to gesture for us to follow her. Stuff was falling all around us and we had to jump and dodge and duck in order to not get hit. My eyes were watering from the heat and from the smoke. 

I could tell William was in the same situation without having to look back at him. “Micheal!” He yelled. I looked back at him and saw that his eyes were glued to the ceiling. I followed his gaze and saw the massive wooden plank plummeting towards us. 

I felt something under my shoes, my knee buckled and it sent me forward and down and William was sent flying. I hit the ground, my skin burned like hell. I looked up from where I was lying on the floor, a wooden beam between me and Will. He didn’t yell, nor did he move as his body burned, fire eating him up. There was a window, I could get through and I could get him but suddenly hands went under my arms, pulling me up and dragging me away. Loud voices became prominent and men were all around me. 

“Micheal!” I heard a voice, it was my Papa. I coughed and suddenly I was handed off to someone else and thrown over their shoulder. “Micheal, it's going to be okay.” He told me. I didn’t answer or do anything. I just limped over his shoulder. I watched the floor as it turned from burning hardwood to concrete stairs. 

Concrete stairs turned to pavement. I don’t know how long it was but we were home and I had been dropped onto the couch. “What the hell were you doing in there?” Papa asked me. “Will.” Was all I said, “where is Will?” I asked. “I’ll deal with that later, what the hell were you doing in Ferrington Library Michael?” My Papa yelled. 

“We were looking around, we wanted to catch who had been taking people out.” I told Dad, and it was the truth. Well, most of it. “That’s pointless boy, everyone knows it’s that Ferrington girl. You know what’s not pointless?” Papa asked. I was silent. “You and William’s lives.” He replied and sat down in the chair opposite me. “Will.” Was all I said. “That’s the next problem.” Dad said under his breath. “William... He… He died in the fire.”