CHAPTER TWO

Tonight was no different than this morning. I decided to take a nap at 3:00 but when Emma
woke me up at 5:40, I knew I had done it again. Gosh I got to get my routine together. I rushed again for the second time today, finding a long black sleeve and jeans. I throw on my air forces again and put my long, blonde hair up in a ponytail.

Emma is careful not to speed because we're late. I take the time seeing my surroundings of California. The sun is setting, sending beautiful golden rays across the sky. People walk along the street with their friends while traffic begins to build up on the roads. Once we're out the car, we go over what we're going to do tonight. Number 1: meet as many people as we can and make friends. Number 2: be friendly and nice to everyone except idiots. And number 3: find out who mystery boy is. Emma stresses the last one, making it essential to find his name and try and get his attention. Though I'm not all keen for tonight, I need to be here for my friend.

After a 5-minute walk, we find the beach. Lights are placed around the entry to the beach, casting a glow on the path that leads down to the sandy shore. Shit I should have worn my thongs. Sensing my thought, Emma pulls us over to the side and starts taking her shows off, suggesting I follow. Once my socks are pulled off, we find a secret spot to hide our shoes, laughing at ourselves for the ridiculous things we have to do.

"Ok but we can't forget them at the end of the night B. You have to remind me, those platform thongs are expensive", Emma tells me, trying to make herself sound serious. I can't hide my laugh when she looks at me like she's crazy. Only she would buy stuff like that which I love. Our feet hit the sandy ground as we walk towards the group of freshmen around the bonfire. I didn't know what to expect until now. Groups of people walk around, chatting in their social groups. Drinks are passed around too, though I know I'm not drinking an ounce of that tonight. The bonfire roars to life, its flickering flames dancing in the night. I look out to the ocean, spotting a few kids swimming near the shoreline. Once again, I'm shocked how crazy people are to swim in the ocean at night.

"Loosen up", Emma says from my side. She promised me she wouldn't leave my side tonight, but I don't even care about that anymore. I would have stayed in our dorm if it weren't for Emma's sake. She leads me to a group of people she effortlessly befriended on her first day. I'm honestly impressed. All I seemed to do today was make an enemy. She introduces me to a few people, someone called Izzy, another Joe and Isaac. I smile and make small conversation while staring at the students running by us into the water. No one seems shocked or surprised but me. I guess I'm going to have to get use to this chaos. A few minutes later, drinks are passed around, but I kindly decline.

"What, your just gonna pass up a free drink like that", says Joe, well I actually forgot his name.
"Yeh I'm just not feeling the best tonight", I reply.
"But it's free", he says exaggerating the word 'free' and laughing to his mates chugging the multiple beer bottles in their hands.
"That's what I'm worried about", I mumble under my breath before turning to see how Emma's going. She in deep conversation with another girl and I don't want to interrupt. Instead, I walk by her, pointing to my phone and mouthing the words 'text me'. She gives me a quick thumbs up before continuing her conversation.

I start walking over to the rocks, appreciating how it's mostly empty. But before clearing my way from people, a guy touches me on my shoulder. I don't recognise him, but of course I don't. I literally don't know anyone here but Emma.

"Going somewhere?" His eyes scan over my body. I almost gag at his attempt of a flirt.
"Yeh, meeting someone", I say and turn away, but he blocks me in my path again. When is this guy gonna give up?
"You're so pretty though, surely that someone can wait whilst you and me maybe go somewhere else? Somewhere private?" My night couldn't be worse.
"Can you just move", I gesture for him to move, but he only takes a step closer. His smile is disgusting as he leers at my figure. Before I slap him, I notice his eyes travel around my
head.