Chapter 6

Andrew's POV
I wake up with a start, breathing heavily. Something is wrong. Something is very wrong. I take a look around. The car has crashed into what looks like a bridge, and the driver has disappeared. I turn to Abigail. She's asleep, I hope. I check her pulse. Fine. There's a large shard of glass dug into her arm, but no other injuries I can see. I unclip both our seat belts and open the car door, with a bit of a struggle, and carry her outside.

We seem to have made a bit of a block on the road. A few people are gathered around, wondering what happened. When I crawl out of the car with Abigail, everyone has their eyes on me. A few come up to see if we're okay. I assure them I'm fine, and Abigail seems it too except the glass in her arm. Apparently the driver ran away after the crash. Someone has called an ambulance, and police. I sit and wait for them to arrive.

It doesn't take long. They rush over, and as the police work on blocking off the road, we get surrounded by paramedics. They take Abigail away but assure me she'll be taken care of. They then begin to check on me, asking loads of questions about my health and if I have any symptoms or anything. I tell them other than a headache I don't feel any different. Then the police come over and begin asking me what happened, but I tell them I don't know since I was asleep.

I'm told to sit in an ambulance, even though I don't need treatment, and they give me that warm foil stuff. I watch them clear the area and begin checking the car and damage, and I begin to space out.
---
Abigail's POV
I'm awoken by a sharp pain running down my arm. I open my eyes and see a blurry face staring at me.

"Oh, you're awake. Hello." The person says. I sit up, rubbing my eyes, and as I do so I notice the blood running down my arm and begin to panic.
"What happened?!" I shout, looking around frantically. I seem to be inside an ambulance. Andrew isn't here.
"Hey, it's okay. Calm down." They continue bandaging up my arm. "You're safe."
"Where's Andrew?" I ask, tears beginning to form.
"Andrew? Oh, the guy who carried you out? He's fine. He's in another ambulance."
"Is he hurt?"
"No. He's just being questioned. You will be soon, too, now that you're awake." They say. A wave of relief washes over me at hearing Andrew is fine.
"I don't even know what happened... I just heard some weird noises..." I mutter.
"It's okay. Just try your best." They finish bandaging me up and stand up. "Do you want some water?" They ask. I nod in response, and they head to get me one.

I sit on the edge of the bed, stretching my legs. I can't leave, there's tubes attached to my arm. I fiddle with them, careful not to pull them out.

"That's a small blood transfusion. You lost quite a lot, but you'll be fine." They explain, bringing me the water. I take a big sip.

Suddenly a phone rings. They pick it up. "Doctor Johnson speaking."

Some shouting from the other end. I can't hear exactly what they're saying, but the voice sounds sorta familiar.

"Yes, they're both fine. Abigail just woke up, and Andrew is in another vehicle... Yes. Yes. No. That's not possible. Abigail still needs to be questioned."

I rock back and forth, getting bored.

"No! Yes. Okay. Of course, ma'am. I'll let them know." Johnson hangs up the phone. He turns to me.

"Alice Wonn is on her way. She wants to talk with you."

For some reason that makes me feel uneasy again.

He picks up the phone and dials another number. Presumably to let Andrew know.

I stand up. The blood bag is almost empty so surely I'm fine now? I yank out the wire. The machine begins beeping rapidly.

"Hey, what are you-"

I'm gone.
---
Andrew's POV
I fiddle with my fingers. Waiting here is so boring. I just want to know Abigail is okay.

There's no one in the ambulance with me. I could easily leave. I stand up, peeking outside, and all the police seem to be focused on the car more than me. I step outside and begin walking towards the second ambulance, presumably where Abigail is.

However, she's not in the ambulance. She's running towards me.

"Abigail? What are you-"
"C'mon! Let's go!" She grabs my hand and drags me with her.
"Woah! Wait! Where are we going?" I ask, running to keep up with her.
"I don't wanna be here anymore! I want this horrible feeling to go away!" She exclaims. A lump forms in my throat. That feeling again...

So we run.