DISCLAIMER: my version of Chang'e and Houyi's relationship might not be the most accurate, but it's the version that I've read and known for a very long time.

The moon was a quiet place.

Well sure there were the bunny mechs, and Chang'e's cooking show, and the radio that the goddess occasionally turns on just to check on what the Earth and Celestial Realm were up to these days, but otherwise it was quiet.

Really quiet.

"CHANG'EEEEE!! THE– THE KITCHEN! I FORGOT TO TURN THE AIR THING ON AND NOW–"

Well, it was quiet.

The moon goddess was snapped out of her thoughts by your yelling and when you clumsily ran in front of her, your hands making frantic gestures as you panicked.

"The pan is on fire, Chang'e!! I was trying to cook something but– Well, I don't really know what happened but the fire won't go out! Aren't we on the moon? Isn't there not supposed to be any oxygen?? How is the fire still burning?!?"

Chang'e had to stifle a laugh. She doesn't remember how exactly you got onto the moon, but she was glad you did. It would've been all too quiet and lonely otherwise.

"Alright alright, calm down first– How big is the fire?"

"About...this big..?" You held up your hand to guess the height of the flame. "It's actually kinda small, but I was afraid it'd get bigger so I came to get you....heh,,,"

Chang'e smiles softly as you rubbed the back of your head guiltily, the action reminding her of her late husband back when the two of them still lived together in the Mortal Realm. Houyi was a kind and brave man who was skilled in archery, even making a legend of himself out of it, but he lacked skills in the kitchen just like you.

Sometimes, the moon goddess wished that she hadn't taken the elixir. Yes, she would be mortal and yes, she would have died, but at least she could have died with Houyi rather than live on the moon all alone for the rest of eternity.

"Chang'e! Chang'e? Moon to Chang'e? Are you okay..?"

Your voice snapped the goddess out of her thoughts for the second time today and you thought that she must have been thinking about her late husband again. She always did around this time of year.

Chang'e blinked for a few moments before smiling sheepishly.

"O-oh, yeah! I'm alright, don't worry about it. Let's go take care of the fire first! All we need to do is put a larger lid on the pot to put it out." She explains as the both of you made your way to the kitchen.

"Ooooh, that makes sense now. Guess I should've thought of that..." You rubbed the back of your head with a sheepish grin. "Sorry, Change."

The moon goddess just shook her head, patting your shoulder reassuringly.

"Don't worry about it, accidents happen all the time!" She smiles before tilting her head to the side. "What were you trying to cook?"

Normally someone could just look into the pot and tell what was being made, but your dish just looked like charcoal in the pot. That's going to be a pain to clean. Talk about failed cooking.

You sweatdropped. "I was trying to cook something that I saw on the Mortal Realm's TV...fried mooncakes, ehe. It looked good, and I know that you love mooncakes and you were looking down today so I wanted to do something to cheer you up..."