16. The ball

Soon the party was in full swing. Despite the usual rivalries between the supernatural attendees everyone seemed to have a good time. Elena talked to so many people, she started to feel dizzy. She made her way outside to get some fresh air when she walked by a room with familiar voices.

"Oh Klaus, you didn't have to..." She heard Caroline whisper.

Elena couldn't help herself and peered through the half-opened door.  Klaus was handing Caroline a small black box with a red satin ribbon around it.

"Open it." He smiled and Elenas heart sank.

As if Klaus had heard her heart sink, his eyes found hers.

"Oh wow, I-. I didn't expect...this." Caroline muttered. Klaus tore his eyes from Elena. 

"Well, Love, that's the whole point of a surprise. Let me help you put it on." He smiled and stepped closer to Caroline to put the necklace around her. 

"Love?" Elena felt like throwing up. She wanted to leave, to run, but Klaus'eyes had her under his spell. He discreetly pointed at his wrist, where Elena could see the bracelet she made him. "Only you." Klaus mouthed towards her. Elena replied with a forced smile before continuing her way outside.

As soon as the cool evening air hit her, she relaxed and found a secluded spot to clear her mind in peace. But before she could remind herself, that Klaus had to put on a show so the others wouldn't get suspicious, a voice soft as silk filled the air around her.

"Trouble in paradise?" A sly smirk grazed the face of a handsome man. Startled, Elena turned to him.

"Uhm, what?" She smiled nervously when she recognized Kol.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He smiled. "I thought you might need some comfort after what you just saw."

"And why would that be?" She tried to play it cool.

"Oh, come on. No need to play pretend with me. I smelled you all over Klaus all week." He chuckled in response.

"Oh." She blushed. 

"Quite the delicious smell, to be honest." Kol stepped closer to her. So close she could feel his breath on her cheek. Her heart beat so fast, she thought it might jump out any second.

"Do I make you nervous?" He bent down, buried his nose in the nape of her neck and inhaled her scent. "You don't need to be afraid. I'll never do something you don't want me to. I'm just saying I'm here if you want revenge." He took a strand of her hair and played with it between his fingers. "Should we make him jealous?"

To his surprise Elena started laughing.

"What?" Now it was Kol who looked nervous. There hadn't been a woman in decades that had laughed when he tried to seduce her. 

I'm sorry it's just...You could never make him jealous. I am his, body and soul. As he is mine. Your advances just like the crush between Caroline and him are mere drops compared of our ocean of love. It's ridiculous to even think about it."

"Fine." Kol mumbled. "I have to say it makes me unexpectedly happy to see that Klaus has finally found someone that feels the same devotion and loyalty as he does... But still your scent is...mhh...maybe just a taste then?" He leaned back down again, closing the distance between them. Elena closed her eyes waiting for the familiar sting. She wanted to fight him, but she knew all too well that any effort would be pointless.

"He'll kill you, you know."

"When I'm done with you, I don't think you'll want him to." He whispered against her skin. His soft lips grazed her throat softly. Elena shivered.

"I hope he makes it painful." She gritted through her teeth.

"That's my girl." An all too familiar voice cut through the air, before Kol's body was ripped away from her.

"Klaus." Kol mumbled full of frustration.

"Touch her again and you're dead." Klaus said nonchalantly while taking his place in front of Elena. He cupped her face between his hands and looked into her eyes with such intensity she felt like he was staring right into her soul. 

"Hey, you." She whispered and turned her face into his hand to kiss it.

"Hello, my love." Klaus smiled before he leaned down to kiss her. Their kiss quickly turned into a passion filled makeout session.

"Ugh. Get a room." Kol muttered.

"I think it's highly necessary for you to see this. I don't think her words have quite sunken in yet. She is mine."

Kol mumbled something under his breath, but Klaus just resumed with devouring Elena in front of his brother when suddenly someone behind them cleared their throat loudly.

The three of them turned around simultaneously to see Elijah standing a few feet away from them. 

"Mother wants the dance to start now." He told them.

"And what mother wants, mother gets." Kol rolled his eyes annoyed but made his way towards Elijah.

Klaus looked at Elena longingly. She softly pushed him away and smiled. "Go, I'll wait for you in your room."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"When have you become so soppy. It's unbearable." Kol gritted.

"Oh shut up." Was the last thing Elena heard before they disappeared and she made her way up to Klaus' room.