simplicity (or, news)

in which wilhelm gets a christmas gift for simon and films his reaction, which is then put on the news.

7:46 AM - dec 25th, 2022

third person pov

DING DONG

wilhelm rang the doorbell and quickly ducked behind a large tree decoration that linda had put up for the holidays. In one hand he was carrying a gift bag, decorated with fake snow and trees. he fumbled with his pockets and took out his phone, opened his camera and started recording.

"hello?" He heard simons voice call out from the door frame.

the other boy walked outside in the cold air and looked around, when wille suddenly jumped out and yelled, "SURPRISE!!!"

the first video

"SURPRISE!!!"

the screen wobbled a bit, but you could very clearly see simon jump back and then sigh, "wille, you scared me!" he then laughed and pulled him into a tight hug. but all the camera really sees is the ground, wilhelm not being able to really film it.

the camera pans up and shows wille smiling like a toddler, waiting to go inside.

he flips the camera to show simon guiding him into the cozy house. he made dramatic hand motions to the kitchen, living room, dining table and his bedroom door.

"ah! wilhelm! come in, come in!" linda's voice projecting from the kitchen. he walked a little quicker than intended over to linda for a hug. "we were so glad you could come over for christmas!" she said, happily. he shows linda on the camera and she smiles while holding up a spoon she was using to stir something in a bright red bowl.

"yeah me too! my parents wanted to travel for christmas, but said I didn't have to come." His voice went slightly lower towards the end of his sentence. linda seemed to notice, but then said - "well we're so glad to have you! here! try this!" she handed wille a plate of french toast with butter, syrup, whipped cream and strawberries.

he took it and thanked her, before sitting down at the small dining table that they had added chairs to. he put his plate down calmly, before flipping the camera to reveal his shocked face. simons laughter could be heard from the table.

video end

third person pov

wille dug into the best french toast he'd ever had, talking and laughing with everyone at the table.

~

the second video

the camera seemed unfocused and blurry, before revealing wille sitting on the small couch that filled their living room. beside it, however, was a christmas tree decorated head-to-toe in beautiful handmade decorations. he did one of those shocked smiles that everyone does when they start recording, (you know the ones) and flipped the camera to show simon beside him, linda in a chair pulled up from the dining table and sara sat on the ground with a pillow on her lap. a garbage bag lay beside her as well, "WRAPPING PAPER" labeled on it in bright red letters.

"gift time!" linda said as it zoomed in on her. zooming out again, panning over to the tree where wille had already placed the gift he was holding earlier underneath its green leaves.

~ opening other gifts ~

"oooh, what about this one?" sara said, holding up the very gift that wille had placed under the tree earlier.

linda gestured for wille to hand his phone over to her, so she could film. the camera focused on wille and simon as the curly haired boy slowly tore the fancy wrapping paper that had been so delicately placed atop the box. he tossed it into the garbage bag, before ripping the tape outside of the box. it was plain brown, no logo or picture to show what might be inside.

inside the box was a smaller box. simon laughed and took that box apart aswell. inside that box was another box. everyone giggled and simon nudged wille in the shoulder. he opened this one, and inside lay a turquoise box with a velvet-y texture. a ring box. simon teared up, and used his left hand to cover his mouth. with the other hand, he slowly opened the box. inside there was a golden ring with a simple design. nothing more than a diamond in the middle and some small patterns here and there.

it was complicated, it always has been. wille has come to understand that they just want things to be simple. thats why he didnt prepare a crazy long speech, or a incredibly detailed design for the ring. he wanted things to be simple. thats what they always wanted.

the camera started to wobble a bit, and soft sobs could be heard from around the room. except for simon, at this point he was practically bawling.

(STOP IM ABOUT TO BE BAWLING IM LITERALLY LISTENING TO REVOLUTION WHILE WRITING THISS 😭😭😭)

"simon, you are the best and kindest- well.." they both laughed, before wille grabbed both of simons hands. "from the moment i laid eyes on you on the first day, something in me changed. i dont know if it was the way you sung louder in front of everyone, or the way you were practically glowing, or the way you weren't afraid to speak your mind. i do know one thing though, and that is that i love you." simon dropped his head into willes hands, full on crying.

the camera zoomed in a little bit.

wille lifted simons chin up, "will you marry me?"

"do you even need to ask?" simon choked out, before pulling him in for a kiss.

video end

~

a few days later

~

they wanted the world to know, of course, but they wanted to be the ones to tell them. they didnt want there to be an interview or an article, but something thats subtle but gets the point across. simple.

they eventually decided they were going to post that video on willes instagram. he wasnt worried that his mom or the team that can manage the account would take it down, because obviously if he wanted to propose to simon it would take months of planning, and his mom had to be involved.

"hey, you ready?" wille asks simon, laying beside him on the couch in one of the palace's many living rooms. wille had wondered why one building needed so many living rooms, but the answers just lead to more questions.

"always." the other replied, laying his head on his shoulder.

the post button hovered below his fingers, before he smiled and pressed it.

"my love ❤️"

that was the caption for the video. it didnt take long for nationwide news channels to pick up on this. most comments were supportive, but then there was always the occasional hate comment here and there.

that was the least of their concerns, they had way more important things to think about than some random attention seeking hater.

~

guys while writing this i spilled burning hot mr.noodles on myself. its not relevant to the story whatsoever but i thought it was funny because its a theme where writers are always hurt. anyways thx for reading lol (now my entire chest is red AAAAA)