Eight

Night seemed to come slower here than other places. She didn't see any visible sun in the sky, but colors shifted from light to dark with a clear moon overhead. The night there on the hill was beautiful, probably the most beautiful place she'd ever seen in life.

The trees were all in varying stages of season. Some bare, some leafy and rich with fruits...Some were shades of yellow and orange and red and dropped their leaves with the breeze. The whole place seemed to have a touch of every stage of life. She felt odd being there. None of the deathless people spoke to her beyond a nod or a 'Yes, your majesty'. She thought back to when she first met Ivan and how he'd stared silently and decided that perhaps with time they'd warm to her.

The woman who'd dressed her returned an hour before the ceremony was set to begin. She knew because of the sparks of the candles, Ivan had taught her, told the hour. He'd explained that time was different there. It froze, it flew, it moved slow or fast depending on the people around them, collectively. For this reason the deathless peoples were very actively productive. One never knew just when night would hit or when the sun would rise...Tasks were done quickly and breaks were taken leisurely.

She learned the woman's name was Helena. She was a small woman with pale blonde hair and sharp eyes that twinkled mischievously. She brought with her a silver-white gown with a purple sheen to it. It draped around the chest over a taught bodice and thin silver chain straps that went above the shoulders and cascaded down the upper arms.  The skirt was narrow with a long slit that came up on the thigh on both sides. She slipped on silk slippers and pearl droplet earrings. This time she left Jane's hair mostly down. Small silver pins held her hair tendrils behind her ears in decadent curls. Shimmery creams and powders highlighted her cheekbones and temple. A berry stain was rubbed along her lips. In the mirror, Jane's breath caught at the finished sight. Her body, which was long limbed and curvy, was being framed in a way she didn't know was possible. In modern clothes she never knew exactly what to do with her hips or full chest. It seemed this was what her form was made for. She smiled to herself, feeling powerful and alive.

"Thank you, Helena." Helena blushed. Actually blushed and then bowed before excusing herself. There was a knock at the door moments later.

"Come in." She said as composed as she could. Ivan appeared suddenly beside her with a large smile on his handsome face. When his eyes met hers he froze in place, his mouth opening slightly and his tongue tracing his upper lip seductively.

"You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen."

"Ivan..." He walked briskly to her, kissing her lips passionately, "We better not ruin Helena's work twice." Ivan chuckled.

"Not yet."

"Not yet." She repeated with a smirk.

"Come...It's time."

He led her out of the room and back down the stairwell we're they'd come as they'd entered the structure. A group of deathless waited below at attention as they descended onto the marble tile.

They continued around to a large black wooden door with intricate carvings. Servants righted the skirt to her dress, draping it behind her elegantly.

"Open the doors." Ivan squeezed her hand reassuringly. Two faceless men swung the doors wide open revealing another large staircase overlooking a crowd of masked figures below.

They stepped forward to a crowd going silent at their entrance. They paused at the upper platform.

"My people. My friends...I return to you a changed man. In the weeks preceding I found my chosen mate. Finally, after all these years, I have brought you your queen!" A grand applause erupted in cheer. "The mortal world is as strange to us as it is to them. She is new to our ways, but she is a cunning ally to our realm. She brings with her eyes that see what is hidden; the disguised...and the dead and parted." A mumble washed through the crowd. Ivan beckoned her forward, guiding her to recite her line as they'd practiced.