Chapter Twelve

My phone vibrates in the back pocket of my jeans and I whip it out to see Beck calling. I let go of the air that's filling my lungs with dread and relief instantly washes over me. Beck is exactly what I need right now after that godawful prank.

"Beck's calling. I'm going to take it," I shout out to Dean. I make my way towards the bench in front of the school's entrance before Dean can respond.

"Hey," I say when I answer the call.

"Hey, how was school today?"

"Good, you?"

"Good."

An awkward silence falls upon us, neither of us knowing where to begin with this conversation. Last time we talked, we didn't resolve hardly anything from our argument. Maybe that's why I'm having these foreign feelings towards Dean which means now's a better time than ever to make amends with Beck. Besides, I miss Beck. All this arguing has made me anxious to fix things between us.

"I'm sorry," we say simultaneously. We laugh at ourselves and I tell him that I'll speak first.

"I'm sorry for getting so mad at you about going to that party. I know it must be hard starting a new life up there and having so much responsibility on your hands."

"No, you have every right to be mad at me. I shouldn't have gone to that party without telling you, but most importantly, I shouldn't have forgotten about you."

"It's okay, seriously. And I understand your fears about Dean and I spending so much time together, but you have nothing to worry about. Just have a little trust in me, that's all I ask," I explain, but for some reason when I say it this time, it's more like I'm trying to convince myself of it.

"I do trust you, and I'm sorry for seeming like I don't. I just don't trust Dean and I don't want him to be an asshole towards you, especially when I'm not there to protect you."

"I won't let him hurt me. I promise."

"So, we're good?"

"Yes."

"You sure?" He teases and I laugh.

"I'm sure."

We don't talk for a minute. Instead, we just enjoy the peace that we finally have after all the arguing that has ensued over the past few days.

"Anyway, what are you up to?" I ask, sounding much more cheery now.

"Just walking around campus talking to a beautiful girl. What about you?"

I blush as my small smile turns into a grin, but it instantly starts to fade because I have to tell him that I'm with Dean. Even though we made amends, Dean still feels like a touchy topic.

"With your brother. He took me driving today since nobody else would and my driver's course starts tomorrow."

"With Dean?" He repeats back to me with a twinge of irritation in his tone.

"Trust me, remember?"

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I trust you."