chapter#8

Head on her knees , her hands around her knees . .she looked like a character straight out of a fairy tale with her long hair hiding her entire back. Deep in her thoughts , striking blue eyes floated on her blank canvas of a mind and she sat up straight. . eyes that were fine begin to water and angrily she wiped them off.

How dare she waste a single tear on a person who didn't even bother to see her face? Didn't even—

"Why the sad face? You know you're the only girl who looks more beautiful when sad." Jess mused darkly.

"I'm fine." She said her voice empty.

The bed dipped when Jess , her best friend , sat down noticing the dark circles.

"Say. .whose that hot uncle visiting you every day?" She inquired.

"Just that. .uncle."

"So . .does the uncle have a hottie son? Ya know someone I can shag?" She wagged her blond eyebrows.

And a pang of pain streaked through her heart. , In a swift motion she was out of the bed , wearing her slippers.

"Where you going?"

"Out."

Mr Young had sternly told her to call him Dad and not anything else.

That day , he had her turn red when he gave her a bundle of money . She had stepped back.

"No. Dad grandpa has left me—,"

"No. This is our responsibility. Technically this is your husband's but you know the entire situation. Take it. This is the least you can do to ease my heart." He pleaded and she has to take it.

They were still stashed in her wardrobe , untouched and unused.

And then he had brought gifts for her from the family.

The second he left , she had looked into them . . unboxing and seeing all the blinging gorgeous outfits. Jess had whistled.

"I want an aunt like that. Wow! Look at that blue one—,"

"You can have it."

"Don't be stupid. It's for you. And I think you should call this rich ass aunt to thank her." Jess advised and her shoulders slumped knowing well she was right.

All the gifts had been from Mrs Young.

Her mother in law.

That night , she took a deep breath and dialed the number.

It got picked in a few seconds.

"Hello?"

"Yeah?"

She didn't answer.

"You're....?" She asked , her lips dry.

"Excuse me? You're the one calling on this number and I'm suppose to....," A heavy sigh and then ,"Ethan here."

Hearing his deep voice , the phone slipped from her hold and crashed to the floor. Within seconds her forehead had perspiration on it .. quickly she bent down and got the phone back and disconnected the call right away...

Because she was a coward.

××××××××

"Hello , people!" He said in a damn good mood , fresh out of shower and looking gorgeous . .he sat down right beside his father who didn't respond.

"I said hello." His voice rose , pointedly while everyone around the table watched.

Then Mr Young nodded briskly.

"So you going next month huh?" Jake asked.

"Yes and whomever wants to apologize before my trip. .the door to my heart is open." He said it with a heart melting smile looking at his father who couldn't help but smile a little. .after all he was his blood. No matter how hot headed and stubborn. .

"You didn't even take us out on dinner." Hailey muttered.

"It's my hard work. Why should I fill your belly?" He pointed at his sister with a fork that a pea stuck on it.

"Hey I prayed for you." Astrid said pushing back her glasses.

"Fine , you poor people." Ethan rolled his eyes.

Everyone burst into excited chatter about which restaurant they going to pick.

"Dad , you heard it? I'm going."

Mr Young wiped his mouth with the napkin , his face sombre. "May luck be in your favor." With that he stood up and begin to leave for his room but Ethan stepped in front of him.

"Dad, I'm sorry alright? I did go out of my line." Ethan said accepting his mistake whole heartedly and then he suddenly engulfed his father into a hug

Mr Young sighed and then patted his back.

×××××××

And then Ethan had to take the gang out. They giggled and laughed all the way turning his mood up.

"Get me ice cream." Hailey insisted.

"The bill you guys made me pay, if it wasn't a restaurant I would have killed you all."

"OoO look at him being tight over money." Astrid giggled.

"Ethan, don't you dare waste a single penny on British women." Hailey advised.

Ethan smiled , "No promises."

"Hey? Isn't that the place Grace visits regularly?" Hailey said suddenly noticing the chapel.

Instantly his face fell.

"If one of you ruined my mood, I'll leave you all right on the road." He warned.

Everyone shut their mouths.

×××××××××

Van was checking the fridge but couldn't find anything for himself , he shut the door and. .found her . . leaning against the marble shelf , a strand of hair wrapping and unwrapping around her finger.

She looked smug.

"You look very ...happy today. ."

"So?" He asked in a calm voice , everyone was asleep while she. . .

"What's the occasion?" She raised her eyebrow.

"You don't need a reason to be happy , you know." He broke it down to her gently as if she was dumb.

"I want to know the reason." She stressed. And the to her horror he walked right towards her. .each step slow and measured . .she was suddenly aware of him with that white dress shirt and . . .she forgot the rest when he stood right in front of her.

She couldn't move.

Looking in her eyes , he said ,"There is a reason , actually."

Him looking in her eyes had her feel adrenaline rush through her body. . but then jealousy made its way too.

"Who is it?" Her voice was hard , possessive . .and that made his heart satisfied.

"Why should I tell you. .why. .," He let the question hang in the air , internally amused.

"Because—because I'll help you out." She sputtered.

Van smiled and damn it was hot , she had to agree.

Leaning in and placing his palms flat on the marble shelf beside her , he trapped her in but not touched her even slightly , he smirked.

Her heart went straight into her throat.

She didn't know what he would say but she knew what she wanted to hear. . .

"Who said I need your help?"

With that he pushed back and giving her one last look , he made his way out leaving her up in flames. .

×××××××