Chapter XIV: Goddess & God

After Mio disappeared with Shinji's body, Isaac unloaded his gun and threw it on the ground. Soon after, Ellen and her troops came running.

"Isaac! Where did the girl go?"

"She's gone. But the boy accompanying her won't be a problem no more."

"But we came for her! Then we failed..."

"Yes, it's a shame she fled, but shooting her would not hurt her anyway. This way, she's not wandering around anymore. If all goes well, she'll take care of herself. But now, we have a new priority. Where's Elliot?"

"He's not with you? Then he must have left by himself."

"No matter. We will proceed with the meeting. Every government that allies with us will be told of the Spirit's existence. The public can never know, for they would decide my morals, emotion... But the rest will realise what a danger Spirits are."

***

Later when Isaac flew back to the UK alongside Ellen, he attended the meeting between him and all prime ministers that were under his heel. They didn't have to come so swiftly on notice, but they were compelled. By both their greed and fear. Isaac took the stand.

"Thank you, every man and woman who has attended this meeting. I have called this meeting in the name of Deus Ex Machina Industries because we have found the cause of spacequakes, and I thought all of you should know."

Isaac's words caused an uproar, but everyone settled down on Ellen's gesture.

"The spacequakes were not orchestrated by nature, but an entity. A creature that looks like us, humans. It imitated a human girl, it spoke perfectly, it commands unspoken powers. In collaboration with Japan, we have located her based on her unique energy signature and tried to subdue her. Unfortunately, she escaped using powers even beyond the capacity of a magus. Way beyond limits."

Isaac continued.

"I had the chance to talk with her myself before she escaped. She confessed her sins to me without a hint of remorse and called herself a Spirit. We consider spirits and ghosts to be fable urban legends, but now one has appeared, causing destruction and chaos for humanity! Every single disaster your nations have faced, all because of her! But, she's still out there."

Everyone was overwhelmed by the information.

"What would happen if the public learnt a Spirit playing god and destroying humanity was roaming free? That's why I trust you all understand, this information can never reach the common folk who acts before he thinks. Deus Ex Machina Industries are however willing to supply our alarm systems to everyone who needs them, with more innovations on their way."

The silence was kept in the room, with only Isaac still speaking.

"What if I told you cities didn't have to be rebuilt by hand, taking years of hard work? What if, just as quick as this "Spirit"—Or as I call it, enemy of humanity erases them like dominoes, we could restore them? Everything can be realised with enough effort and sheer will, and that's why the DEM as the only organization in the world will supply Realizers, as we use the Spirit's own power against her. Her power to cause destruction will be our power to realise our salvation. We will make the impossible possible."

Isaac took one last breath before finishing his speech.

"I know these are trying times, but I thank you all for taking the necessary steps to guarantee the survival of both humanity and your populaces. Deus Ex Machina Industries and Asgard Electronics will always be at the ready to assist anyone in need, for we all share the same goal. Humanity's victory over all its enemies. Thank you."