Chapter 15

Silverpaw was finally able to leave camp now. Her wounds had mostly healed but Firedream told her to be careful so that the wounds wouldn't re-open. That meant not battle training or hunting too much. She could go on border patrols as long as she didn't engage in a border fight. She couldn't wait to be a warrior and she felt like she'd become a warrior soon. After all, Silverpaw mastered all the necessary skills she needed to know and Duskpool needed to retire soon. Even though she could go on patrols, Dawnstar didn't want to risk it. The clan had lost too many in the last moon. So Silverpaw often found herself helping around the camp. Today she was ordered to help Firedream. Silverpaw walked over to the medicine den.

"Hi Firedream." Silverpaw said, sounding very bored.

"If you're here just because you're bored and have nothing else better to do, then go away." Firedream called.

"No," Silverpaw said in the same tone. "Dawnstar ordered me to help you today."

"Well then quit mopping and come help." The medicine cat grumbled. Silverpaw walked over.

"What should I do?" She asked.

"Go to each of the cats here and in the apprentices' den and check on them." Firedream instructed. "If they aren't feeling well then immediately come to me and tell me." Silverpaw nodded and got started right away.

"Hi Swiftfoot!" Silverpaw greeted the elderly cat, trying to sound as happy as possible. "How are you feeling today?"

"Oh, I'm good." Swiftfoot rasped. "Just have a scratchy throat and still-" He coughed "coughing."

"Oh, I hope you get better soon. I hope Firedream is taking good care of you." The silver apprentice stated.

"Yes, she's a good-" Swiftfoot coughed again, "medicine cat, although a better mood would help." He remarked. Silverpaw nodded and went over to Firedream.

"Firedream!" Silverpaw called.

"Yes?" She said, impatiently.

"Swiftfoot said he's feeling better but she says he has a scratchy throat and he's still coughing." Silverpaw reported.

"I'll deal with her. Go talk to the others." Firedream ordered. Silverpaw walked over to Poppypaw.

"What do you want? To mock me?" Poppypaw rolled her eyes.

"No," Silverpaw told her, "Firedream told me to check on everyone in here and in the apprentices' den."

"Oh." She said, embarrassed.

"Anyways how are you feeling? I hope you're well." Silverpaw asked, a little annoyed.

"Do I have to tell you?" Poppypaw argued.
"Yes!" Silverpaw snapped.

"Fine geez. I'm fine." She said, "There, happy?"

"Still feeling sick?" Silverpaw asked.

"Just coughing." Poppypaw answered, trashing her tail in annoyance.

"Ok, bye." She said as she left Poppypaw.

"Silverpaw, there you are!" Firedream said.

"Hi Firedream." Silverpaw greeted her.

"Could you fetch Dawnstar for me?" She asked.

"Sure." Silverpaw said, and raced out of the den to look for their leader. She looked all around camp and couldn't find her. That's weird. He's always in camp. Silverpaw thought. She walked back to the medicine den to tell Firedream that Dawnstar wasn't in camp.

"Why don't you have Dawnstar with you? I told you to go get him!" Firedream demanded.

"He's not in the camp. I looked everywhere around camp. I think he went on a patrol." Silverpaw reported. "Also I didn't find anyone else in camp. Just those who are sick and us."

"What?!" Firedream yelled. "There should always be healthy warriors in the camp!"

"The queens and kits are still here." She said, with a shrug.

"That doesn't help!" The medicine cat growled.

"I'm here." Silverpaw pointed out.

"You're just an apprentice!" She snapped.

"I've learned all the necessary skills I need to know." Silverpaw stated. Firedream ignored her. They both got quiet.

"This doesn't feel right." Firedream said quietly, breaking the silence. Silverpaw was just barely able to hear her. "Dawnstar would never leave the clan unguarded."

"What if something happened?" The silver apprentice asked. "Surely he'd only do this if it was his only option."

"We'd know." The medicine cat said as she looked at the sky. "He'd never leave the most vulnerable behind or anyone as a matter of fact. It's against the warrior code."

"What if this is a test?" Silverpaw suggested.

"Then it's a stupid test." Firedream said just as a cat stumbled into camp.

"Help-" The cat called just as they passed out. Firedream ran over to check who it was and what happened.

"It can't be. You died 9 seasons ago in a flood." She muttered, as she sat beside the ginger cat.

"Who is it?" Silverpaw asked.

"My mother, Kestrelbreeze." Firedream said, looking at the ginger cat. "She died a season before you were born." Firedreams eyes softened.

"Her and your mother were great friends." The flame-coloured medicine cat said.

"Oh, Then how is she alive if she died?" Silverpaw asked.

"We never found her body after the flood. The clan assumed that she died." Firedream told Silverpaw. "Where have you been all of this time?" She whispered.

"Firedream! She's hurt!" Silverpaw realised.

"Where?" Firedream perked up.

"Over here." Silverpaw pointed to many scratches on Kestrelbreeze's back.

"Fetch me some cobwebs." Firedream ordered. "NOW!" Silverpaw nodded and darted off to the medicine den. She grabbed some cobwebs and ran back over. Firedream snached them from her and hurriedly put them on the ginger she-cat. Silverpaw heard Firedream murmur something. It sounded like Come on, come on! Please don't leave me again! I can't lose you twice! Silverpaw felt sorry for the medicine cat. She couldn't imagine what it felt like to find out your mother was alive after seasons of believing she was dead only to die for real. Firedream started to sob.

"Please, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE!" She cried. Silverpaw felt Kestrelbreezes heart slow. Soon her heart stopped.

"NOOOOOOOOO!" Firedream begged. "DON'T GO PLEASE!"

"Please..." She sobbed.

"I'm sorry for your loss Firedream, I know how you feel." Silverpaw sympathised. Firedream just nodded.