02 | Reaffirmations and Rumours

She awoke from where she sat with a jolt, the silk cushions shifting under her weight as she tried to recall where she was. And with a flash, everything returned to her. She pressed her lips together in an effort to prevent the tears from rolling down her face, but it was hardly unavoidable.

After some time, she arose from her position, determined to speak to the other women.

Her entry into the main hall of the women's chamber had all talks quelled, the women turning to the door, fear haunting their ashen complexions. But when she was identified, it was as though the room itself bore a sigh of relief.

"Jiji, you're back?" one woman gasped, rushing to take her cold hand in her own.

She did not reply, but moved to the centre of the room, her eyes scanning the expressions on their faces.

"Why didn't anyone tell me what was going on?" her hoarse voice held a demand, carrying to the corners of the room.

A lady who had barely seen twenty-three summers let out a soft wail, crumpling to the floor in grief.

"My child! O heavens above!"

Her eyes widened. So it was Tapi's daughter who had been taken last night. The other women surrounding her sank to their knees and tried their best to soothe the wailing lady.

"We—we were ordered not to, Jiji. H-He threatened us with punishment if we were to tell you anything about this," spoke someone from the corner of the room.

"He did? That... foul creature!" she exclaimed, but all of a sudden the light filled room darkened, the vultures sitting outside the windows turning to look at her.

Her saari shifted as she sunk to the floor, sobs stinging her dry throat.

"Jiji!"

She held out a hand.

"It's fine, I will be standing within the minute."

The rest of her time passed in a blur, as she did what she usually did when free. She moved around the room, talking to the women one by one, lending a comforting shoulder when they cried; spoke a few words of advice but never offering assurances that they one day might be saved. She no longer believed she would be saved.

When she came face-to-face with a damsel who once had been of great beauty but wasted away due to her imprisonment, an expression of chastisement was present on her countenance, her head bowed.

"Forgive me, Jiji. It was because of me you got locked in the dungeons again."

She caressed her hair, tilting her chin up to meet her eyes.

"Do not apologise, Vaani. I would rather endure a thousand times more of that punishment and even worse if it meant all of you would be free. It has always been my duty to look after my sisters, being the eldest one here, and as a sister, I ought to fulfil even the littlest of what their heart desires."

Vaani smiled tremulously.

"What hope do we need when we have you, Jiji? You are what keeps the dying embers of our hope alive."

But I have long past lost my hope, she answered in her mind, for it has been scoured out of me, piece by piece. It is only for you all that I live.

"O Mahadevi, what did my poor, sweet girl do to deserve this fate? She deserves to be happy and free, not imprisoned in this fortress and become a sacrificial goat because one could not sacrifice herself?"

All the women froze, gazes directed towards her. A crying Tapi had uttered these words, loud enough even to attract the calculating sight of the vultures swooping above.

"You foolish girl, if she were to give in—"

She sighed, held up a hand to still the one who started speaking and walked up to the bemoaning woman.

"Tapi, look at me. Tapi."

Tapi froze, the tears like mottled gold on her tan complexion.

"Jiji, I—"

"Shh, it's okay," she took her in her arms, her dress scattering around her.

"I genuinely did not believe he would do anything like this, but I have been proved wrong again. I pray one day you will be able to forgive me for damning your daughter to such a fate."

She rose, her eyes sweeping the circle of women clustered around her.

"We are survivors, my ladies. Each and every one of you has suffered unimaginably, but this is not your fault. We know who is to blame. But despite it all, you all have clung to life in hope of a better, brighter future. I cannot promise we will be free from his clutches, for I myself have lost my hope. But I will take steps to ensure this does not happen again. If he is to harm someone, it will be me.

"Your pain shall be mine. So long as you do not provoke him, I will ensure his wrath at anything is directed to me alone. As your Jiji, I promise this. Do not let your hope die."

------

She sat alone, a sigh escaping her lips. Without a second thought, she let prayers escape her mind, her lips moving soundlessly.

If there is anyone out there who may heed my call, please hearken to this call of a child of thine! I do not want hope for myself, but freedom for my sisters. If we are doomed to a life of endless torment, at least let them retain their hope. I do not know how much more of this they can bear, so please, please, let there be someone out there who can liberate us from this hellhole.

"Jiji?"

It was the voice of the woman who had first taken her hand when she had entered the common chambers of the women.

"Aaradhika?"

"Yes, Jiji."

Aaradhika sat by her, her eyes fixed on her face.

"What is it, Aaradhika?"

"I... are you okay, Jiji? You were imprisoned in the dungeons," there was an involuntary shudder from her as she spoke. "—and I suspect you had no food."

"I am well, Aaradhika. As well as one can be expected to be when the monster himself tries courting you."

Aaradhika's expression turned ashen.

"There have been murmurs among the women, of which I have only recently caught wind of. They say you are the favoured one of him, and are simply pretending to be on our side so that your 'husband' can have his fill of pleasure from each of the women one by one."

An involuntary chuckle escaped her lips.

"Well, that would certainly explain the chambers. Why would only one woman be given such vast chambers, and next to his own?" her gaze turned hard, as she added, "Let them speak what rumours they want to believe. I have no qualms, and I am only surprised it took it this long for the doubts to arise."

Her companion flushed a dull red, too shaken to reply.

After a few minutes of silence, she said, "You have asked me to report to you when a new meeting of the court was to occur. There is one scheduled for tomorrow night under the firelight."

"Good." She nodded.

I suppose that is where I will find myself tomorrow night then.