Title & The Introductory Paragraph

We always need introductions to get familiar with an unknown person, object or anything that is new to us.

Just like the introduction I gave to an Argumentative Essay in case you, my dear reader, were not familiar with what it was.

Similarly, your Argumentative Essay needs an Introduction to introduce the reader to your side of the topic and to your essay.

And not only an introduction, but also a title.

Title

A title is basically a string of words that will introduce your essay, or any piece of writing, or perhaps give a slight idea about it to your reader. The maximum number of words for an essay title is five but it actually depends because once I wrote a title with six words as I was desperately in need of a good one and the teacher let me pass.

Examples?

Oil's Price Has Gone High!

My Childhood Experience of School

Studying In Competitive Environment Effect

The Man I Look Up To

The Night of the Murder

And you don't want to know how much thinking I've done for each of these titles to make it to-the-point and perfect. Can you believe it? Writing a title has rules.

And even the Introductory Paragraph has rules. Here is how I view an introductory paragraph-

Opening Sentence

Introduce us to the essay by sharing some points that are relevant and are related. For example, if we are talking about poly bags, your introduction could introduce us to polythenes and what they are.

Example :

Polythene is a type of plastic made into thin sheets or bags and used especially to keep food fresh or to keep things dry. It is one of the most widely produced plastics in the world with tens of millions of tons produced each year.

Dun Dun!

Introducing Your Side

You don't necessarily need a whole new sentence for this. You can just introduce your side through the Thesis Statement.
You might need to give a counter but it doesn't necessarily have to be in the introductory paragraph either.

What is a counter though?

Counters will be discussed elaborately in chapter 8. But a brief summary could be that a counter is basically a statement that shows other people might not agree with your side. But this doesn't mean you're going to start talking about why people might not agree. This is very important. You need to stick to your side and your side only and you must not go out of context.

And now comes The Thesis Statement.

The Thesis Statement

I hope you haven't forgotten all that you just learned about Thesis Statements in the previous chapter. If you did, shame on you. But nothing we both can do. So it would be better for the both of us if you'd take a look at the previous chapter one more time. All have been discussed about Thesis Statements and their relation with Introductory Paragraphs.

That's very much all you need to know to write an Introduction Paragraph. And also the major fact that- YOU MUST NOT LOSE OR CHANGE THE SEQUENCE IN AN INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH! THESIS STATEMENTS GO LAST AND OPENING SENTENCES GO FIRST AND THERE NEEDS, NEEDS, NEEDS TO BE SOME EXPLANATION IN BETWEEN!

That's all but it's not the end yet because I have a surprise for you!

Exercises

⬇︎ ⬇︎ ⬇︎

Exercise 1.1

No. 1
Write a Title for an essay with the topic- Uniforms are necessary for students. Do you agree or disagree?

OR

Humans are starving across the world when many people are keeping pets. What are your views on this topic?

No. 2
Write an Introductory Paragraph with the same topic using this format -
• an opening sentence
• explanation, like what are uniforms, why are they needed, why do students wear such clothing?
• thesis statement with three major points

After you're done writing- online or offline- either you can send me the link, if it's online, or you can privately ask me for my email, if it's offline.

Best of Luck though! I'm sure you're going to nail this. However, don't hesitate to ask me for help anywhere you feel you're confused.

Next Chapter : Body 1 & 2 : Your Reasons