Chapter 3

I sit at the vanity in my room staring at the reflection that's gazing back at me. I look so unlike me, with my face evenly powdered, my hair nicely done, my clothes a mixture of the finest silks. It was almost upsetting to not be able to recognize your own reflection in the mirror. A soft knock comes from my door before I hear Hak's muffled voice call for me. I let out a soft breath to clear my head from my thoughts and slid open the door. Hak made a weird face at me. I knew what he wanted to say before he even had the chance to say it. I pushed past him with my arms crossed around my chest. "Don't you dare insult me, General Hak. You should learn to appreciate a woman's... efforts." I huffed, turning away from him.

Hak let out the most obnoxious laugh as he nearly fell to the ground. "Shut up. I'm embarrassed that I even said that." I turned to look at him in disgust as he tried to pull himself together.

"I wasn't going to insult you," he said while wiping tears from his eyes, "I was just going to say you look different." I probably made a face at his comment because he quickly tried to redeem himself. "A good different!"

I rolled my eyes at him but this time waited for him to get up. On the way to Yona's birthday banquet, it was oddly peaceful. There were no guards stationed anywhere. "Feels weird to be back?"

"Yeah... but at the same time, isn't it a little weird how there's no one stationed out here right now?"

"Don't worry, they're probably switching off right now. Someone will be there soon." Hak swiftly resolved my suspicions with his reassurance. "Enjoy the night, Yumi. You belong here." he placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a small grin. Only Hak understands how I feel about my life in the walls of the castle. The banquet is full of lively people, delicious foods, and extravagant decorations. Yona is in her prettiest attire smiling brightly and greeting guests as they wish her a happy birthday.

I tap her lightly on the shoulder. Yona spins around and unguardedly gives me a smile that reminds me of her many years ago. I leaned close to her ear and slipped a small box into her hand. "Happy Birthday Yona." She was about to say something but I noticed Soowon standing on the outskirts of the banquet, waiting for a good moment to catch her attention. "I think Soowon wants to see you," I softly smiled at her.

Yona turns around and spots Soowon waving at her. She says a quick thank you to me before she rushes to him. A yearning feeling momentarily filled my heart as I watched the two exchange shy smiles with rose tinted cheeks.

Night has fallen yet again. Tonight the moon is appealingly bright. The full moon harbors enough light for me to take a nice walk through the courtyard. The crisp air fills my lungs and immediately wakes me up. I spot Hak sitting on a secluded set of stairs far from where the banquet is happening. "What are you up to all the way over here?" I sat down beside the huge glaive he carries with him at all times.

"It's more fun out here, I guess." I silently nod in agreement to his response. Just like how he can see through me, there are times where I can see through him too; this is one of those times. Seeing Yona and Soowon together today and the way they were acting, drove him out here. No matter how deeply he keeps his feelings locked away, it's at these moments where I can see as clear as day how he feels.