‣ 𝖾𝗂𝗀𝗁𝗍

⭑⌗ BY MY SIDE : 🎞️ "

following her fiancé's steps into the house closely, Elle grew more and more frustrated each second

following her fiancé's steps into the house closely, Elle grew more and more frustrated each second. it has been dead silence ever since they got out of Heath's house and that was honestly not a pleasing thing for Elle.

once they reached the house, that was when her anger finally took off. "what the hell was that about ?". she half-yelled.

it caught Ryan off guard of course but he held it together before sighing tiredly. a heavy frown formed on his face, "what was what, sweetheart ?".

sweetheart ? that's new.

Elle scoffed. meeting Ryan's eyes without any nervousness or shaky feeling this time.

"I've never seen you mad at me like that before". she pointed out the main issue which Ryan found ridiculous for some reason.

"she is an old woman. anything could happen yet you don't even do anything when she was in a problem !".

"what'd you expect from me ? I was as surprised as you were.. an-and my mind was empty even at the moment you came inside !".

that put some silence between them before Ryan sighed heavily and looked away. he rubbed his temples with his fingers, "I expected better from you to say the least".

some button was pushed for Elle. she reached her limit to the point where she angrily huffed and walked away from the scene. "I am sleeping on the couch tonight. do not stop me". she pointed angrily towards him.

"whatever", Ryan rolled his eyes, annoyed to the maximum level.

it seems like the couple's and the neighbour's relationship are having something else than friendly at the moment.

this made Elle have the urge to apologise to her and meet her once again. that's what she's doing right now, standing by her doorway with an apologetic face, "Mrs Heath ?".

the door was opened some seconds later. but what's for sure is it surely took longer to open that damn door than normal like she usually did. "honey.. what are you doing here ?". her sweet tone's still there. just.. a bit dull this time. only a bit.

"I'm here to say my sorries". Elle muttered. her eyes kept on the floor. "here, I brought you food".

"what is this, sweetheart ?". Mrs Heath eyed the vintage-looking plastic ware in Elle's hands. her gaze softening at the sight making Elle's heart melt. she suddenly felt proud of herself once she saw the elderly woman smiling in front of her.

"uhm.. it's uh.. an apple pie. my mother used to make this for me whenever I get sulky. so I taught, I could use this method on you too". Elle explained, beaming as she did so.

Mrs Heath finally looked up to meet her eyes before chuckling lightly. "are you saying I was sulking, sweetheart ?".

nevertheless, Elle took the question seriously and widened her eyes in panic. she was too scared that she'd screw up building a relationship with this woman who she took as her mom. "n-no ! I wasn't meaning to say that. it's just-".

"I understand your intention fully, Elle. no need to be worried". she assures, cutting her rambles off.

the girl sighed in relief. "yes, ma'am".

after some silence, Mrs Heath coughed a bit loud — catching Elle's attention as she snapped her head worriedly. "Elle honey, can you pass me the water on the kitchen table please ?".

"yes, sure". without hesitation, Elle left the woman's side and practically ran to the kitchen.

there was already a glass of water on the countertop that Elle mindlessly took in her hands. she carefully brought it to Heath and smiled softly.

Mrs Heath thanked her actions and drank half of the glass in one shot. judging from how she already had the glass ready on the counter, she must've been prepared if she ever got caught in her throat like that if ever.

suddenly a saddening feeling hits her. she's been living alone. no one to take care of her. Elle couldn't imagine what she'd do if she ever had to be in her shoes. living without Ryan would be traumatising for her.

after all, she has no one. her family threw her out — her and Ryan's relationship was strongly disagreed by all of them.

"Mrs Heath ? where is your son ?", she voiced out unconsciously — an intrusive thought.

Mrs Heath blinked multiple times before saying, "I'm sorry. may you repeat your question please, Elle ?".

her voice sounded somewhat offended which made Elle frown a bit. is she going into a sensitive topic ? maybe yes. does this make her more curious ? absolutely.

"him. your son, what is his whereabouts now ?".

"why are you asking me that ?".

"is he even alive anymore ?".

the elder breathed in sharply. Elle knew she hit a spot and bit her lip. that came out wrong.. has she gone too far ?

"I'm only telling you this because you showed me care last time". it surprises Elle that Mrs Heath doesn't show any sign of annoyance in her voice. there were only some exhausted ones in it.

but what surprises her more is her next answer. "no he is not any more".

"what ?".

now it was her time to blink multiple times. she was sure enough that Mrs Heath had confirmed his existence in the house before.

Mrs Heath seems to be panicking a bit when Elle asks, "was that your son ?". the woman gulped.

she coughed a bit and glanced down to her feet. "yeah..". Elle nodded and decided to not to go further with the question after seeing the atmosphere's mood change.

or didn't she ?

it seems that her uneasy expression was obvious that Mrs Heath cleared it out almost instantly. "this was my son's room. I hope you don't feel any form of discomfort here". she pushed her lips into a thin line ; a sign that she also felt bad about putting her in her current state.

was. was my son's room.

she should've seen this coming. "I'm uh.. I'm sorry".

══════════ ✦ ══════════

to be continued . . .