Chapter 1

When Suzukawa-san entered my classroom, I was taken entirely by surprise.  Pinching myself, even.  Yet he entered, his hands in his pockets as he leaned against the doorframe.  I couldn't help but notice the way his muscles bulged against his cotton dress shirt, tattoos inking his skin.

"Hello, Hoshimiya."

I turned my head away to mask my eye roll before turning back to him with a beaming smile.  "Good morning, Suzukawa-san," I said, giving him a formal bow. 

Please say what you need and get it over with.

Strolling into my classroom, he stalked towards me, stepping close.  Too close.

I swallowed a gulp before it could even emerge in my throat, forcing my back to straighten.  Yet his proximity, his infuriating presence, prickled my skin with warm shivers.  Without a second thought, I stumbled backwards, nearly colliding with my desk.

It rattled behind me, my tea nearly spilling over.  

Why am I so clumsy?

I awaited his criticism, but thankfully it came light as Suzukawa-san released a satisfied chuckle, though his face remained void of any warmth and his voice dripped with condescension.  "Stumbling as usual."

A few of my students released untamed fits of laughter.  Others gushed and awed at how "handsome he was".  My goodness, these young ladies.  Can't they see he's too old for them?

...And not that attractive.  Though, I wouldn't consider him unattractive.  It's the personality that counts.  And his personality was far from dating material.

My cheeks burned, fumed with humiliation.  And I nearly allowed irritation, an emotion I've always vowed never to show, into my voice as I replied, "How can I help you, Suzukawa-san?"

"Have you read the email?"

Panic surged in me for the split of a second, smoothed immediately as I sucked a heavy breath and exhaled.  I was sure I read all my emails.  "W-I haven't yet.  I've been busy teaching my class."

"Ahh," he exhaled with a nod.  "Well if you had, you'd have made the announcement to our students by now."

"Sorry," I forced through my teeth, smiling bright.  Wait.  "Our students?"

"Yeah."  Suzukawa turned to my class, his face completely and utterly cold, unlike the very first day he ever greeted me.  He'd been monotone ever since, though his rude remarks never ceased.   Then he flashed a partial smile, like an off duty idol beneath the flashing lights of paparazzi.  Fake.  "Starting today, Hoshimiya-sensei and I will be hosting a competition between our homerooms that lasts twelve weeks, the last two of which are going to be on Amami island.  The next four weeks, you will be training before the talent competitions begin."

Having opened my email as Suzukawa spoke, I scrolled down the script at speed-read the next part.  "And the following six weeks, we will have weekly shows where we can showcase our talents.  And the lucky winners of each competition will earn our homeroom a point.  Best of all, Starlight Academy has chosen to invite not one, not two, but twenty scouts, designers and major brands to attend to seek you out to be the faces of their campaigns," I chimed in cheerfully.

Suzukawa nodded.  "This will be an opportunity for all of you to grow in your careers."

Sparks swept across the room of young eyes like a sea of stars as my class erupted into cheers of rejoice and beaming chatter, their excitement filling me with joy of my own.  This was why I chose this job.  To inspire, to bring joy.  To bring hope.