L. ABBACCHIO

music for immersion :

═ ☆. YOU WATCHED RAIN SLUICE DOWN the glass of the convenience store. The clouds had been heavy and dark the entire day—moodily threatening rain, but you decided not to deliver until the minute you left your dorm for a snack fix.

A gust of cold air blew inside as the automatic doors opened. Your peripheral caught Abbacchio striding inside, his coat collar turned up and his shoulders damp with rain. He didn't seem to notice you, slinking down one of the aisles. You followed after him.

He paused in front of the row of liquor, squinted intently. He lifted his hand to take a bottle before letting it fall back down.

"Hey," you said. Abbacchio didn't respond. There was something off-kilter about him.

Abbacchio moved down the aisle, mouthing the names of the bottles.

"Are you alright?" you asked hesitantly. You touched the sleeve of his trenchcoat.

It was only then that Abbacchio seemed to register your presence. Abbacchio frowned, rubbing a hand across his jaw. His light hair was tangled from the rain, strands falling into his eyes. His violet-yellow eyes were red-rimmed.

"What are you feeling up for?"

You blinked. You glanced at the liquor. "Are you talking about what I want to drink?"

"Mm."

Why was Abbacchio looking for alcohol on a rainy afternoon? His trench coat looked like it had been slung on as an afterthought over pressed grey trousers and a form-fitting vest and plum dress shirt. It was like he'd been on the way to do something, but had given up.

"I'm not really an alcohol person."

Abbacchio scoffed. He scanned the shelves, then reached for an elegant bottle hidden in the back. He pursed his lips at it, but took it with him. You watched him pay for it and leave.

Why was it that everything Abbacchio did dragged a question along with it?

You purchased an umbrella. You opened it out on the street, spotting Abbacchio's dejected slouch and hurrying after him.

"Hey, are you okay?" You raised the umbrella so it would cover Abbacchio. Wherever Abbacchio's thoughts were, they were miles away from here. You kept pace with him for a couple dozen steps before he looked up, surprised to find an umbrella over his head.

He stopped and so did you.

"Did you just break up with someone?"

Abbacchio looked so dismayed that you laughed. "Where the hell did that come from?"

"You're overdressed, buying wine and chocolate. Your eyes are red. You're walking tragically. In the rain. It's quite cinematic, really."

You waited for Abbacchio's retort. You were teasing, but Abbacchio seeming so dejected was a little concerning.