Chapter 2

Abhi stared at Pragya in shock.

He had not expected that she would say yes. He had asked just to make it easy for her to tell him she wanted to wait, because why wouldn't she want to wait? A week ago she had asked him to back out of this marriage because they had nothing in common. In the days since then, he hadn't seen any evidence that her feelings for him had changed.

True, she had retracted her request and acted much less frosty towards him as their wedding grew closer. But they had not spent any time together, aside from brief moments of impersonal conversation during their very public wedding functions. Neither of them had tried to get to know the other, and he couldn't say they were even comfortable being alone together yet.

They had both simply agreed to this arranged marriage for the sake of their families, and he had not thought she would be interested in making it a real marriage any time soon.

"Are you sure?" Abhi asked, studying Pragya's face. "You don't want to...wait?"

"I'm...I'm ready if you are," Pragya answered, giving him a small smile.

His eyes fixed on her lips, plump and glossy from her deep pink lipstick. He could hardly believe she was saying yes to him, with the very same mouth she had used to tell him off so many times in recent months. He could never have imagined that the woman who seemed to have made it her hobby to castigate him in public could become this demure, acquiescent bride.

But here she was, his bride. His wedded wife, who was agreeing so easily to go to bed with him.

If he still believed the nonsensical story Aaliya had used to make him agree to this marriage, he might think Pragya was agreeing to sex as a trap to bind him closer to her. But Purab had explained everything, and he knew now that Pragya was not the scheming gold digger he had once believed her to be. She had married him to please her mother, and if she was agreeing to sleep with him now, she had no ulterior motive.

She must believe that he was asking her in good faith, as her husband. And, even though they hardly knew each other, she was bravely agreeing to take this next step forward in their relationship.

A surge of protective affection swelled up in Abhi. She was approaching this marriage with an open heart, and he owed it to her to treat her with care. That she trusted him enough to say yes tonight had to be a good sign for their marriage. He felt suddenly that things were actually going right in his life. It was a welcome change from the stress and uncertainty he had felt leading up to their wedding.

He had not planned to sleep with his wife on their first night, but if she was ready, he damn well was too.

He smiled and got to his feet, pushing himself up with a hand on Pragya's knee. He took both her hands and helped her step off the bed.

Pragya wobbled slightly as she stood, as though her legs were shaky. Abhi realized she must have been sitting on the bed waiting for him for a long time, and now he regretted staying with his friends as they enjoyed one last drink in honor of his marriage. If he had known his bride wanted him with her, he would have come much sooner.

He looked her over from head to toe, finding to his surprise that she was very much to his taste. It was the first time he could look at her closely, without anger, misunderstandings, or awkwardness getting in the way. She had a slender, graceful figure, and stood just tall enough that she could look him in the eye with the slightest tilt of her head. Her wedding lehenga was modestly draped, but the curve of her waist peeked through the sheer red dupatta. The glimpse of her bare skin kicked up his pulse.

He may not have chosen her, but being intimate with her would not be any hardship.

He stepped in close, cupping her cheek. "I'm glad you want to do this, biwi." He felt gratified as a slight shiver went through her, knowing she heard the possessive intent when he addressed her as his wife. "But I want you to tell me if you change your mind," he added, dropping a kiss on her forehead.