What are you waiting for?

Hey Disaster Poets!

I am seeing so much great work coming in, and I want to thank you all for putting your hearts and minds to work! I'm anxiously awaiting the words of a few of you and part of my job is to give you all a nudge, so here it is: What are you waiting for?

I think we can all relate to this question, yes?  I certainly can.

When you read the article in the link below, you will see a photo by the artist Yves Klein, entitled "Leap Into the Void." This image is my own personal muse– I have had it taped to my wall for years.  It inspires me to do only that which scares the crap out of me.  It totally works! My artwork and artmaking life has only gotten more interesting, more challenging and more fun, purely because I have made a healthy habit of triple-dog-daring myself to make the work I want to see in the world.  I am the only one who can bring this work to the world.  The same goes for you, too.

After I'm gone, I want my legacy to reveal that I always worked my fingers to the bone, that I did not take no for an answer (especially from myself) and that I made compelling, engaging artwork through a lifetime of thoughtful risk, adventure and constant questioning.

My artwork is not meant for a lazy audience.  I don't believe your writing should be, either.

In other words– HEY POETS, MAKE WORK THAT MAKES US WORK FOR IT.

I triple-dog-dare you.

Love,

Jessi

An excerpt:

What Are You Waiting For?

by Joe Bunting

You have a story you’re afraid to write.

You know the one I’m talking about. The big one. The dangerous one. The one you’ve been putting off. The one you just don’t have time for.

The Truth About Your Story

You will never be ready to write your story.

You will never have enough time.

The fear won’t go away.

It’s time to stop making excuses for yourself. It’s time to come out of hiding.

Your story was meant to be shared. What are you waiting for? (You might want to tweet that).

It’s Okay If No One Is Listening

Stories were meant to be shared, but that doesn’t mean anyone has to listen to you.

Your job is not to force people to listen. Your job is to share your story in a way that creates a connection with those who are listening.

If people show up, if people enjoy your work, be grateful. It’s an honor to have their attention.

But if nobody shows up, if nobody likes your story, be grateful then, too. It’s an honor to have a story to tell. Go share another.

This thing we do, this writing, it’s a gift. You’re not entitled to a gift. The correct response is always “thank you.”

Read more here:  http://thewritepractice.com/waiting-for/