Teamwork⚔️

It was a morning like any other in Wellington Wells, the sun at that hour was starting to illuminate the roofs of the tallest houses in the island city.

The night that had passed had left behind the signs of its passage: so at dawn you could see the dew on the grass in the various parks of the city.
An exclusive view, however, reserved only for the Bobby Peelers who carried out the night patrol, who would soon finish the shift.

As usual, the inhabitants punctually at seven in the morning, put their nose outside the house to start another day, "joyful" and monotonous as always.

They weren't the only ones who started wandering around the alleys: in fact the Night Watchers had finished their shift, giving way to the daytime constables.
And to a novelty that was gradually becoming part of everyday life.

In addition to the normal Bobbies, for some months now, the new police forces led by the iron and uncompromising general Byng: since Wellington had always lacked a concrete form of security, it was decided to create a separate regiment from the Constabulary, composed of the best agents around. And no one had ever had to complain about this choice, indeed, more vigilance was equivalent to better protection against "external dangers".

The positions of the constables in question, according to the various voices, were privileged: their setry box was positioned adjacent to the structures belonging to important personalities such as the mansion of the general's daughter, Victoria, the radio tower of Uncle Jack and at the entrance of the bridge leading to Haworth Labs, where Dr. Anton Verloc resided.

The latter watched the guards through the large window of his office, thoughtfully.

The rules of living in a place like this had to be clear to everyone: anyone who forgot to take their Joy or stopped taking it on purpose was immediately neutralized with a liquid drug injection from a doctor, or in the other case, brutally suppressed.

Many Downers had already been sent on holiday, but some persisted and used every means to survive in order to leave the city, which was strictly prohibited under current law.
Verloc, however, did not pay them much attention: they were people without a consistent purpose. But he was focusing on one group in particular and, he feared that one day to the next one of those three characters would appear at his door, exterminating the security and then making its way to him.
And this was not to happen, he was completely defenseless and would have no way out. The only person he could rely on was his personal guard, a white-uniformed Bobby in an office downstairs that preceded his.

Even with this guarantee, he was concerned for his safety. He wanted to have more assistance to ensure maximum protection. So in the light of this an idea came to him. He contacted Byng at the Victorial Memorial Camp.

Constable Stephens was summoned by the scientist the next day, as soon as he showed up for his usual shift.
The slightly perplexed man walked towards his superior's office, believing that he might have done something wrong. Yet he seemed to be doing his job perfectly.

He hit the switch on the semi-automatic door and went into Verloc office; what he saw left him dumbfounded: the scientist was sitting at his desk as usual grappling with piles of paperwork on which he was writing something with a fountain pen, while on his right side stood a figure in an elaborate navy blue uniform, a shiny helmet with red fringes that touched his shoulders, his left hand was perpetually firm on the hilt of the sword, tucked into the metal case, the bulky shiny boots reached his knees and ended with a pointed outward protrusion, a pectoral band crossed almost his entire torso, while his posture was upright like a rush.
Fuck. Did he want to joke?
He expected everything, except the captain of the Cavalry.

The white Bobby approached capturing the attention of Verloc who motioned him to sit down, the same thing for the other.
Constable Stephens for no apparent reason, hated the agents of the Cavalry, especially this man in particular: the same man who had stolen the post of Night Watcher at the beginning of his career. After so many sacrifices he had managed to get the personal guard post alongside Anton, arousing the envy of most of his colleagues.