Eden Carlisle

Prologue

I held the gun up to my chest. This was all my fault. I'd gone crazy and now she was gone forever.

"Sam!"

Eden?

"Sam!"

No, that wasn't my name. My name was Killer.

I lowered the gun. The pills churned in my stomach, the drugs flowing through my veins.

"Sam!"

Everything was a blur. It was too late to fix my mistakes. I held the gun up to my chest, and pulled the trigger.

CHAPTER ONE- EDEN CARLISLE

The first time I saw Eden Carlisle, it was the first day of my junior year. I'd already been to my first four classes-Junior English, Physics, American History, and Advanced Trigonometry- and was now eating my homemade lunch and listening to my music. My dad didn't trust the school food, and I didn't want to waste what money I made working at Computer Geeks on shitty food. My dad owned the whole chain, all one hundred and fifty-six stores throughout a dozen states.

I was about to bite into a turkey and bacon sandwich when I spotted her. She was beautiful. Her hair was long, wavy, and dark brown, her skin was the color of fresh milk. Her eyes, I quickly determined, were green. She wore several bracelets on each wrist, a long crimson velvet skirt, and a black flowy blouse. She carried a lilac messenger bag on one side, and a backpack on the other. I wondered what she could possibly need two large bags for.

But she wasn't alone. Zania Evergreen and Novak Farr were talking to her. She was In trouble now. I pulled my earbuds out and strained to hear what they were saying.

"How come you're dressed like a goth?" Novak was saying. Zania giggled.

"We should totally introduce her to Goth Boy."

That was me, by the way.

Time to get involved.

I grabbed my iPod and my bag and headed over, totally forgetting my lunch in that moment.

The beautiful new girl saw me first.

"Hi, girls," I said. Zania and Novak jumped at the sound of my voice and spun around, apprehensive looks on their pretty faces.

"Sam!"

"Hey, Zania, Tre's looking for you. He said something about date night."

She and Novak scurried away. Sometimes high school sex rumors came in useful.

I looked at the beautiful girl. "Hi, I'm Sam."

She looked disgusted and walked around me. "I could have handled that." She spoke in a New York accent. I caught up to her.

"Forgive me, I couldn't tell. For what it's worth, I did you a favor."

"Doing what? I don't hearken to childish insults."

"Who says 'hearken?'"

"It's a real word, Goth Boy."

I sighed. "Can I at least get your name?"

"It's Eden."

"That's a pretty name. Eden what?"

"None of your business.

"I already told you mine. It's Sam Copeland. Please, you can trust me."

"No one who says that actually means that."