Chapter 7 New House

Chapter 7

New House

I entered Professor McGonagall’s office, finding Lenora sitting in front of the teacher’s desk. The Professor herself was currently at the other side of the room with Madame Pomfrey, observing Harry. Hermione Granger stood against the wall, looking at Harry with concern.

I took the seat next to Lenora and asked, “Do you know why we’re here?”

Lenora shrugged and huffed, “Apparently its against the law to leave your train compartment.”

“It is against the rules when there is danger on the train,” Professor McGonagall replied, sternly, as she approached her desk.

The teacher sat at her desk across from the two of us, folding her hands. She dismissed Potter after the nurse determined he was well enough to go, and told Hermione to wait a few minutes to discuss her schedule.

Madame Pomfrey came over to me as well and asked, “Is this the other student that fainted?”

McGonagall nodded. “Yes, you can go ahead an examine her while I have a word with these two.”

The nurse started to feel my head, and check my pulse as McGonagall started her lecture.

“Miss Lane and Miss Ch… Rosen,” she began, “When the dememtor was aboard the train, all the other students remained in their compartments to avoid it. You two, however, decided to roam about the train and attract its attention. A dementor does not understand the difference between good and evil. If you get to close to one and catch its attention it will come after you. Should it give you a Dementor’s kiss, then you will forever lose your soul. Do you undestand?”

In a daze, I barely managed a nod, which was more than Lenora offered.

“Now,” Professor McGonagall went on, “Do you want to explain to me why you two went out looking for the dementor, rather than staying put?”

“I didn’t know what it was,” Lenora argued. “I just caught a glimpse of that back of it, and thought it was a student playing a stupid prank.”

The teacher let out an exasperated sigh. “If there is any sign of danger, Miss Lane, you should…”

McGonagall was interrupted by the door opening, abruptly, by Professor Snape.

“Pardon me for intruding,” Snape said, “but Miss Lane is in Slytherin house. Therefore, I feel it would be more appropriate if I speak with her on matters of discipline. As for Miss Rosen, she is your problem now.”

“Very well,” Professor McGonagall consented. “Miss Lane, you may go.”

I turned to look at Lenora as she stood up and followed Snape. This must be the first she heard of the news of my new house. I could not read her expression, as she hid it well. I began to wonder if being resorted was a good idea after all. I still believed Lenora and I could work things out, but that would be more of a challenge if we did not see each other as much. As of now, it seemed she was the only person I could get to be my friend.

“Well, she overall seems fine,” Madame Pomfrey determined as the door shut. “No physical damage though she still appears rather pale. Do you think she should spend the night in the hospital wing?”

McGonagall looked at me and I shook my head in response and muttered ‘I’m fine.’ The professor then dismissed the nurse and turned back to me to continue.

“Miss Rosen,” she went on, “you are fortunate to have made it through in the condition you are in. Will you explain to me why you left your compartment? Did you too, believe it to be a practical joke?”