Chapter Four: A Friend For Em

I quickly jumped to my feet and spun around. I saw a boy with auburn hair, brown eyes, and pale skin. So pale it almost looked grey. The boy walked towards me and I backed up until I hit a wall. He held out his hand.

"I'm Sam." He said simply.

I took his hand and we shook. It was pretty old fashioned if you ask me.

"Emily." I replied.

He was quite a bit taller than me so I had to looke up to speak to him. I wondered where he had come from. How did he even find the castle? It was a secret spot.

"How did you find me?" I questioned him.

"I sensed you. Well your energy."

"My energy?" It barely made sense.

"When Spiritlings are in a place where they spent much of their time, that location is one of the places where their energy is stored. The energy is released when a person becomes a Spiritling. Other Sprirtlings can pick up on this energy and find any newbies. You are a newbie."

I had a feeling I had a lot to learn after meeting Sam.

"So you're d-dead to?"

It felt weird saying that word. "Dead".

"Yeah."

It was funny talking to another ghost, spirit, or whatever it was we're called. Spiritlings!

"For how long?"

He looked puzzled. "At least a few years. I can't really tell since time is kinda different for us. How about you?"

"Well. I was hit by a car," I explained. "So, like, a day?"

"At least you didn't drown." He said solembly

"Oh my gosh! I and so sorry, I di-"

"It's alright," He said with an elvish smirk. "You look pretty banged up anyways."

I didn't know how to feel about Sams last comment. It sorta hurt, physically it did. I hissed in a breahe.

"Well, gee. Thanks. At least I don't look like a popsicle." I said rolling my eyes.

Sam looked me over as if he just noticed I was covered in cuts, bruises, and blood.

"Touch the wall." He said

"What? What for?" He took my hand and placed it on the wall. Heat went through my body and I could feel my skin healing.

"The energy helps heal you."

"Well THAT makes sense."

"So. How old are you? Eight? Nine?" He asked looking down at me.

"Ha-ha-ha. I am-was 10."

"I was 11."

"Explains why you're so tall." I pointed out

"Yeah," He said. "Nah. Explains why you are so short."

I heard a loud rumbling. Sam and I looked towards the sky. Dark clouds had started rolling in bringing wind with them. Pretty soon it had started raining. I smiled and so did Sam. When I fell the cool raindrops fall against my skin it was probably the happiest I had been since I'd realized I was dead.

"Well," Sam had said. "We better get out of here before we catch our deaths."

I laughed and snorted at the same time and it must've looked and sounded really stupid.

"Come on." He said.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see. Just follow me."He leaped straight through the walls of the castle. I copied Sams actions and was relieved when I didn't hit it.

 I ran down hill, stumbled a little bit, then caught up with Sam. We ran along the docks next to all of the boats. There were fishing boats, yachts, we even had a ferry. Me and Sam ran through people. It tickled a lot when I did that so I laughed. Once I started Sam joined in. We kept running until we reached the forest. We leaped over a river and swerved around trees. When Sam stopped I stopped. He made a few strange noises and something appeared in front of us. It was a transparent like wall. But I could see it move; like a wave. I looked over at him, waiting for an explanation.

"Light paths. It's a way of transportaton for Spiritlings." He said

Then he walked through it. I couldn't see him, all there was were more trees and rocks. I had to go through it too. I sighed.

"I'm sorry Joshy. I'll be back."I whispered.

 I took a step forward and went through the light path. For a few seconds all I saw were bright lights. Sam really wasn't kidding when he said "light paths". The light was almost unbearable so I started to squint. I shaded my face with my hands. Then I saw a hand out of no where , I took it and Sam pulled me out. Relief filled my mind. He looked down at me and raised his arms and said: "Welcome to the Feld."

I looked up in awe.