22: Northmans

ERIC

We were finally settled into the house. Henry was in heaven with all the room. He spent the first few days running around the yard and rolling in the grass. Every now and then he'd run into the house with one of his big smiles on his face as if to tell us how much fun he was having while we unpacked. Mixing our styles wasn't exactly the easiest. We got into several arguments about what to keep and get rid of. We had enough space for almost all of it. I was a minimalist compared to Sookie. That was very, very evident during unpacking and decorating.

Before we moved into the house Sookie and I took the time to get the bathrooms remodeled. We had the exterior painted as well. There were a few other little things we did in the house that made it really feel like our home. It had been close to a month since we moved in. Ras and I had gone out shopping in Beverly Hills one day when I was helping him move into the Hill House, that's what we called it. We made a pit stop at a jewelry store. I decided it was time to make her a Northman if she was ready for it. I didn't think she wanted a big wedding, but that was something we could discuss once I got her to say yes.

I woke up earlier than her like I usually did. Henry and I went on our morning run like we'd gotten used to doing. When we got home he went out back to sun himself while I went to the room. Before my shower I made a decision. I got the ring out of the lock box I kept in the closet. Sookie never asked me about it. I shared everything with her, so I assumed she was allowing me to keep something for myself. She may have not even thought about it. Either way, I pulled the ring out of the box and went to the bed where Sookie was still sleeping. I gently lifted her left hand so I could slip the ring into place. I looked at it for a moment and then grabbed my cell phone to snap a picture of it.

I was happy. I was going to be even happier when she woke up and decided to say yes. I kissed her forehead before I went into the bathroom to get the shower started. When we got the bathrooms remodeled we got one of the tankless hot water setups. It was nice.

I had just stepped under the water when I heard Sookie come into the bathroom, probably to take a piss. I wasn't sure if she had even noticed the ring. Sure enough a few moments later I heard the toilet flush before Sookie stepped into the shower with me.

"Morning, Lover," I said without turning around. The hot water felt good. The air was getting cooler with winter coming up soon.

"Good morning. How was your run?" Her arms circled my waist and her face pressed against my back.

"It was good. Henry almost got lost," I chuckled. "He ran into the brush and I heard a bunch of rustling around before he came out about ten feet ahead of me." I rested my hand on hers. I caught the diamond between my fingers and twisted it a little so she felt it move.

Her head lifted.

"Did you just put something on my finger?"

"No," I answered honestly. It had been a good ten minutes since I put it on.

Sookie took her hand back and gasped.

"Eric! Are you... Is this... ohmygod!"

I turned around to look at her. Her face was priceless, and beautiful.

"Where'd you get that?" I asked with a knowing grin.

"I don't know but the burglars in Ojai are way nicer than the ones in Los Angeles," she said as she stared at the ring.

I decided to sink down onto one knee. I figured we met while I was naked, might as well do this naked.

I took her hand and kissed the back.

"Miss Sookie Helene Stackhouse, will you do the honor of becoming a Northman?" I shouldn't have been as nervous as I was.

Her hand was shaking and her eyes were full of unshed tears. Sookie's head started to nod before she said, "I wouldn't want to become anything else."