1: Fast Car

SOOKIE

Everyone has a story. I'm no different. Some stories are more tragic than others. My story starts out rather tragically, but that doesn't mean it has to end on the same note. It's taken me a long time to realize that I actually do have some measure of control over how it all turns out. I can make choices that put me in a position to have a happier ending. My life doesn't have to be a total disaster, although for a while it looked like it might turn out that way.

The choice to get my shit together 100 percent falls to me. It has never been someone else's job or responsibility to save me. Codependency is another form of addiction that can be just as unhealthy as substance abuse. I've learned that lesson the hard way. Hell, I've learned a lot of lessons the hard way.

Aurelia, my '71 Chevelle SS comes to a stop across the street from the house where I used to live. It's a sweet little Cape Cod looking ranch house. There's a manmade pond behind the house but the beach isn't far away. We picked the house out together because we both like the beach. I can't even tell you how many walks we took on the beach over the years we lived there. I don't even know if Eric's still living there. It's late and I'm hoping that whoever lives there doesn't come to the door or look out the front window. I'm not sure what I'll say if Eric spies me across the street.

It's pretty safe to say I'm not welcome. After all I've put him through, I don't think I necessarily deserve a chance to make things right. I do owe him an apology. Whether or not it will make a difference, I don't know. What I have to come to terms with is that the apology isn't just for him, but for me. It's a selfish act on my part. Yes, it's the right thing to do, but there's a chance Eric doesn't really want to hear it. More than four years have passed since the last time I saw him. Eric made it clear to me I had a choice to make: sober up or get out.

I chose to leave.

I'm working on coming to terms with the idea that it wasn't a mistake. I had to leave in order to get to where I am. I've done a lot of things I'm not proud of in the past, but I'm proud of myself for clawing my way out of the hole I was in. It's not easy.

Dogs barking pull me from my reverie and the next thing I know, a fluffy tan dog is barreling toward Aurelia at full speed.

"Bear," I whisper. He's a pit mix. Seems like maybe he's part golden retriever with all the fluff to his coat. Before I left Eric, Bear was my baby. That sweet boy hardly ever left my side.

Seeing him come running toward my car kicks up my fight or flight instincts. How he got loose from the house, I don't know. The next thing I know, Eric's running out from behind the house, calling after Bear.

I have no choice but to open the door of the car and as soon as I do, Bear jumps right in like a day hasn't been missed. His tail is wagging so hard I'm worried it might snap right off. He's whining, crying, and licking every part of me he can get his tongue to.

"Hi, buddy," I say as my eyes well. "I missed you too."

"Sookie?" Eric asks, his voice full of confusion.

I look up and I can see he's as confused as he sounds. He also seems a little pissed off. He has a right to.

"Hi," I say sheepishly.

"What are you doing here?" It comes as a bit of a surprise he doesn't call Bear back.

For some reason it feels like it's hard to explain. I'm not really in a nostalgic mood. I didn't come to reminisce.

"Feeling the energy, I guess." It's the only thing I can think of to say I don't know if it makes sense to Eric or not. "I didn't come to start trouble, I promise. Bear, come on, get down."