21: Loose Lips

SOOKIE

I had no idea what the hell Eric was thinking sending me flowers. We weren't a couple, and we weren't going to be. Whatever crazy thoughts he had about us taking things to the next level, he needed to just forget about it. Josh of course asked about the flowers and who had sent them. He wasn't buying it when I said I picked them up for Madi. The last thing my son needed to hear was that I'd slept with his girlfriend's dad, so I stuck to my lie. My love life was none of Josh's business.

My son had a big mouth because the next thing I knew I had my brother turning up at Soup's On looking for a free meal, and to stick his nose in my business. He thought being a cop gave him license to be nosy.

"I told Josh I bought those flowers for Madi," I told Jason while I poured him a beer.

"We all know that ain't the truth. Who'd you charm?"

"Me? Probably nobody," I snickered.

"Uh huh. You're charming, Sook. I don't believe that for a second."

"But you believe someone I bought an old clunker from would send me flowers?" I set the beer in front of him.

"I believe you have someone that's sweet on you. Thanks."

"I believe you've been smokin' the Devil's lettuce," I snickered again.

"You know my job prohibits that kinda stuff," he chuckled. "So who you datin'?"

"I'm not dating anyone. You know I don't have time for that. I barely have time for a haircut or a bikini wax."

"I don't believe it. I'm not gonna harass you anymore 'bout it... for now."

"There's nothing to harass me about," I shrugged. "You know I'm not interested in gettin' involved with anyone."

"I think you should. It might make you a little less– ow!"

"A little less what?" I asked with my fingers tugging on his ear.

"A little nicer is all. You're about to rip my damn ear off."

I let go of his ear.

"What'd you want for dinner?" I asked.

"Steak, medium," he answered.

"What kind of potato?"

"Baked is fine." He gave me a wary look.

"What's with the look? Garlic bread or vegetables?"

"Veggies and some garlic bread," he said. "I think you're mad at me and you're gonna sabotage me."

"How would I do that?"

"I don't know. Tell the cook to drop some dirt or something into my food."

"This is my restaurant. If I did that I'd be sabotaging myself," I pointed out.

"I'm your brother so it's different," he reasoned.

"Fine, then forget it."

"Forget what? Sook, what did I do?"

"You're worried I'm going to poison you or something so forget it."

"But I'm hungry. I know you're not going to poison me. You did try to talk me into eatin' a mud pie once, though. Fool me once shame on me and all that."

"We were kids, Jason. Seriously, are you high?" He had to be.

"Nah, but I haven't slept in almost twenty-four hours. I took a double shift last night," he informed me.

I shook my head.

"Sit tight. I'll get your order in," I told him.

I left Jason at the bar and went to the kitchen to put in the order for his steak. Because I was a nice sister I threw in a meal to go for later. When I got back to the bar Jason was halfway done with his beer.