Chapter Eight

VIII / No Mourners, No Funerals

    The time was too late to return home now, so they would ride out on dragonback tomorrow and those without dragons or dragons too small to be ridden would go by boat

Rhaelys slept peacefully until she was woken by Baela. "Rhae!" She looked scared and in a mere moment Rhaelys had stood up. "What's going on, Baela? You must speak to me if you wish for me to understand what is going on," Baela breathed heavily and Rhae held her hand.

"What's going on, Baela, tell me," Rhaelys said as she turned to her brother. "Wake him up, he can help," Rhaena nodded as she shook Jace awake. "Jace, wake up!" Rhaena woke Jace as Baela had done with same with Rhaelys. "Wake up, Jace, Jace!" Jace was always slow to wake up and when he finally did, he looked worryingly at his cousins.

"Someone stole Vhagar!" It was clear that they did not understand dragons yet enough. A dragon could not be stolen as they did not belong to anyone. A dragon was their own's and no one else's, not even their rider. Vhagar could not be stolen, because something could not be stolen that did not belong to you in the first place.

But Rhaelys understood Laena Velaryon's daughters in that moment. Rhaena had been promised Vhagar, the last piece of her mother. A dragon is not a slave, but a grieving child is a grieving child.

"What?" Jace questioned as he got out of his bed. "Baela, stay here and look after Luke. Jace, Rhaena, you will go with me and we will find Vhagar," They nodded and she got their hands, Jace and Rhaena's, walking to the hallways where they were faced with none other than Aemond.

"It's him!" Rhaena said as she eyed him up and down. "It's me," It was clear that Aemond had ridden and claimed Vhagar. He reeked of dragon as he never had, not even after the pig burned him following the pig incident. "Vhagar is my mother's dragon!" Rhaena shouted at Aemond, tears filling her eyes. "Your mother's dead. And Vhagar has a new rider now," Rhaena shot an angry glare at Aemond. "She was mine to claim,"