Green Feathers

Chapter 1 

The Omen 

I woke up in a parallel universe. Unlike anything else I had ever seen, the glistening drops of dew on the oak trees really made me wonder where I was. My bed was behind me, but there was a colossal statue with glistening white wings and golden hair, flowing in the wind like a thousand tiny strips of golden ribbons. There was a bright light emitting from the angel statue. Wait... that statue was real! The statue immediately whipped around and I saw its true form. It was an angel! The angel whispered, "something amazing will happen to you today..." Then, the angel said, gradually getting louder, "Rosalie, Rosalie, Rosalie, Rosalie, and ROSALIE BLOOM!!! YOU GET DOWN HERE THIS INSTANT!!! IT'S TIME FOR SCHOOL!!" My mother yelled from the living room.  

I sat up groggily in bed. I yawned and stretched my arms out. I had deep, black circles under my eyes. It looked like they were pulling my face down. I wasn't sure where I was. Then I took in my breathtaking room. My room has a deep green carpet, with bright blue walls. The walls have white clouds painted on the cyan wall, resembling a sky. There is also a sun painted on the ceiling with gold-leaf paint that has a heat lamp built into it, which helps grow her plants. There is ivy growing on grates next to the windows. There also is a, small, enclosed garden that grows potatoes, beans, tomatoes, carrots, and other food-plants that can be grown. Not to mention, there is the small, yet creative, bonsai trees growing on the terrace that overlooks the dense forest. Last, but certainly not least, my bed; it is made of twisted oak wood with golden spheres embedded in the wood. The wood forms a four-poster sleigh-like bed. The canopy covering the bed is made of soft wool that looks like leaves woven together. My favorite part is the blankets that cover the bed are deep shades of green running together like watercolor paint; and the pillows are shaped like leaves and pinecones.  

I threw on my clothes and bolted downstairs when my mom yelled, "ROSALIE THE BUS IS HERE!!!" I sure was excited for school, since it was the last day and I am meeting my best friend Ari Walsh. (I call her A) But I'm the most excited for the biology "Green Plant Day." Real original name, I thought. Green Plant day is always held on the last day of school, where everyone is filled with the excitement of the summer.  

I met Ari at the bus stop like any other day, but this day was different. Ari shared my excitement on Green Plant day, but not for the plants. There is a colossal tree (nicknamed the Great Tree) in the forest, and each year we have a contest on who can climb it the fastest and throw a ball into a circular branch at the top, and the treetop is made of an elaborate branch system that serves as a volleyball court. I personally love this time because I can replace all of the plants that look abominable since the deep frost last winter. My favorite part is always bringing all of my favorite flowers to spread their beauty all over the school. The flowers I bring are Morning glories, Tiger Lilies, Hibiscus, Snapdragons, Irises, just to name a few. I always look forward to seeing Ari at the top of the tree, kicking butt as an Olympic gold medalist struggles under the pressure of being at the top of our tree that each student carves their name into when it is their first year in the school. I carved my name in the top branch, the second branch from the top, where Ari always plays at the treetop court; right next to Ari's carving. As I was waiting for the bus, during my happy memory, Ari disappeared. Oh no, I thought. I missed the bus! Luckily, not much time has passed, so I had enough time to bolt home and receive a ride from my mom.  

Chapter 2 

Green Plant Day 

As I walked into school, I was taken away by all of the banners and the flags made by the home economics class hanging on the Great Tree. I met Ari at our usual spot, on the banister of the concrete rails chasing the stairs. I asked Ari if she was ready, and she exclaimed, "If you are referring to kicking butt, heck yes I'm ready!" I pulled out the flowers I was planning to plant, and Ari gaped at their beauty. I picked the best hibiscus from my mother's garden, the largest sunflowers from my terrace, and the finest honeysuckle from the nearby honeysuckle bush. As the school bell rang, children rushed inside. One of the reasons Ari and me always meet at the railing is because we are privileged with a head start so we do not feel like a salmon swimming upstream. We darted like cheetahs locked onto their prey so no one pushed us down. I immediately made a right then left turn then arrived at room #A59 to Ms. Brookstone's 12th or senior class. Ari met me at my locker, as our lockers were right next to one another! As far as I could tell, Ari had been planning. She was wearing a bright blue jumpsuit, (not to attract heat from the sun by wearing dark colors) where she stitched on an extra pocket made out of strong polyester to hold a water bottle in while she was on her breaks so she didn't have to climb down and up the tree twice to catch a quick drink; and waste some well-worked for energy.