Chapter 1

Lisa's POV

I walked inside my small run-down house carrying the bundle of wood for the fireplace and continued with my daily errands.

The area where I live has fewer residents compared to the other areas of the kingdom and it's sometimes dangerous to live here.

Even though I could afford a better and safer place, I wouldn't swap the solitude for that.

I kicked the door shut behind me and continued to the living room.

"So much to do" I mumbled as I thought about the things lining up on my schedule.

Princess Sana's marriage with Tzuyu is today. Everyone's been talking about it for months. I'm happy for them, it's about time they got together officially.

But that also comes with the fact that I'm doing all of Tzuyu's work until they get married. I don't mind since it gives me a distraction from my own life and thoughts.

I went to my room and looked through my closet to take out my uniform. We rarely wear this uniform, only for special occasions and this is one of the most special of them all. We're also required to wear our badges of honor.

I took a hot bath before getting ready then I stood in front of the mirror and stared at myself. Dull brown eyes, a frown on my lips, a small scar on my temple.

I scrubbed my face with my palms trying to remove the depressing thoughts that always haunt me.

I looked back in the mirror with a determined look "One day at a time" I said to my reflection.

I nodded at myself before I started to get ready. I pulled up my pants and tightened my belt before I put on my coat and attached my badges of honor.

Most of my badges are from the war against the Jeon's but a few of them were from the battles we've won with other kingdoms.

War is a very strange thing. It is the only feat that I never felt victorious.

It always adds a little weight in my heart every time it happens, whether I was the victor or otherwise.

The day my old kingdom turned to chaos and I had to run away with the refugees changed me forever.

Living here in this kingdom gave me a different purpose but turning my back on my kingdom still haunts me, even though I know it was the only choice I have at the time

I took my sword and inserted it in my scabbard and walked outside my door.

I took the long route to the castle so I wouldn't have to talk to anybody as I head for the venue.

I passed by the market to see that only a few people were left.

All the kingdoms that were associated with ours were attending. I guess everyone's excited about meeting the royals of the other kingdoms.

As I continued heading to the castle the louder the people got. Finally, I heard the horn announcing the arrival of the first kingdom.

I saw Jisoo and the others standing in front of the castle adjacent to the crowd of people who were desperate to see the Royals.

I moved towards the back stairs to avoid squishing myself with the crowd and stood beside Jisoo.

"Hey, Lis" Bam Bam called teasingly, his muscles flexing as he moved to lean over Jisoo.

I glared at him "Don't call me that"

I felt Jisoo nudge my side "Do you think the Manoban Kingdom will be in attendance?" she whispered as she watched the big metal gates slowly open up.