Chapter 1 - The Eye of the World

"What does it mean?"

"That this wasn't the last battle. I fear it was the first."

Confused, Lan looked at the shining heartstone. The first battle. Not the last one. For twenty years, they had searched for the Dragon Reborn. They had searched for the one person, who would be able to fight against the Dark One. And now... when this had been the first battle, when would the second one take place? The Dragon Reborn was dead. Rand would never fight anyone ever again. How long would it take for the next Dragon to be born again? And would the second battle happen before the birth of their savior or after? And what about the prophecies? The ones, who had predicted that the Dragon Reborn would defeat the Dark One? Had they all been wrong? Had they been an illusion?

When Moiraine got back on her feet, Lan noticed the movement but didn't stop her. Instead, he followed her with his eyes, while he took a good look at her. At his Aes Sedai. This strong woman, who had lost her powers. Who had never cried in front of him. But right now, she looked broken and lost. This woman was a shadow of the powerful Aes Sedai, who he had known for so many years now. He wanted to hug her. He wanted to assure her that she wasn't alone. That he was still with her.

But she wouldn't accept it. She was too proud to ask for any kind of comfort, even in her weak state. Rather suffering than accepting help. 'Insufferable woman!'

The Warder tried to reach for his bond, only to be blocked by the barrier, which Moiraine had pulled up when she had left Fal Dara with Rand the other night. She had fooled him. She had used his feelings for the Wisdom to push him away from her, while she had already planned to leave him behind. This hadn't been a spontaneous idea. She had planned this. Like she always planned everything. A plan within a plan within a plan.

Lan watched how Moiraine walked to a wall. He watched how her delicate fingers moved over the stone. Distracting herself from her terrible thoughts. Sighing, he stuffed the broken piece of cuendillar in his pocket and got back on his feet. "We should return to Fal Dara."

He saw her hesitation at his words when her fingers slipped for a moment, and in the way, she pulled back her shoulders as if to strengthen herself. Lan decided to reason with her, though she hadn't said anything yet. "This isn't a good place to stay over the night. We need to leave the Blight."

Slowly, she turned around and her eyes looked apologetically. "I can't return to Fal Dara."

"It is the shortest way to safety. There is food, a warm fire, and a comfortable bed to get some rest after this day trip."

"This isn't about safety. Or maybe it is, kind of. Nynaeve and the others... they won't like the news. Especially in Nynaeve's eyes, I'm the villain here. I took their friend through the Blight to the Eye of the World without informing anyone. And when I return without him... I don't know how they will react. And I can't fight the Wisdom. She is a powerful channeler, and I... I have nothing to fight her or to protect me."

Lan stepped closer to her. As he had expected, Moiraine moved away from him. She didn't want to be comforted, as if it would make her look weak. Then she held up her hand to stop him, so the Warder grabbed her hand and placed it over his beating heart.

"You have me." Fresh tears built up in her eyes, but he didn't stop. Not now. "I protect you. Always have, always will, Moiraine. I swore an oath to you when I accepted your bond all those years ago. And I intend to keep it until my last breath."

Lan was relieved when she finally stepped closer and pressed herself against him. Quickly, he wrapped his arms around her before she could change her mind. This was where she belonged. Safe in his arms. His Aes Sedai.

"If it makes you feel better, Nynaeve will most likely kill me first."

There was a moment of silence before Moiraine asked: "Why should she kill you?"