Chap 1

This new world was green, to simply put it. So tall were the oak and maple trees, the sky was blocked from view by bushels and bundles of leaves. Rich moss made its' home on every bole fencing the grassy, floral path, and elephant ears peeked out from behind trees, as if listening for an order of retreat. The brightest daffodils she'd ever seen swayed with the breeze below her, seeming to giggle and tickle at her ankles.

 The grass on the path looked new and untrodden, and when she turned after walking a good few feet in astonishment, she noticed the turf behind her did not look crushed by her footsteps. Curious, she moved her foot and watched the grass under her bob back up as if it were made of rubber.

 "How queer," she muttered, and folding her dress, sat politely on her knees to take a gander at it. She stroked the grass and furrowed her brow when nothing seemed amiss with the dew-dropped blades. "Perhaps it's magical sod," she questioned with herself. "Or I'm as light as a feather. I've experienced so many dearly odd things lately, I wouldn't doubt either notion!"

 As she was standing back up, she heard a noise from down the path. She brushed off her knees and with a face of concern said to herself, as she's often talked to herself lately, "Well, if I didn't know any better, I'd say that sounds like a little mouse crying out!" She smiled and shook her head, curls bouncing. "You're a silly fool, Jane. Mice have voices only in children's books."

 She shrugged contentedly at the snapdragons and took another step to continue her journey, when she was knocked flat onto her bottom.

 "Oof!" She exclaimed. Before she had the time or the thought to move, a little man appeared from the creases in her skirts, looking frightened.

 "Oh please, you've got to hide me!" He cried out, and again before she had made up her mind, he dove down into the silk in her lap. Not a moment later, she heard the flourishing wings of an owl sweep above her. They spotted each other at the same time and, looking frustrated, the owl landed on a tree branch a few feet in front of the confused girl.

 "Excuse me, miss," he proclaimed, "Did you happen to see a little fairy flit by you on your way to the ground?"

 Jane blinked, and innocently shook her head. "No, sir. I've just decided to have a picnic by myself, as I thought it was so beautiful out here. I've just come through that door, you see?" She gestured behind her, and noticing the owl's stare become more wary, looked behind her to find the door gone.

 The owl stared at her, and with a blink proclaimed again, "Well, if you do see him, do send him my way, won't you, dear?" Satisfied with her nod, he flew off once more.

 "Why, he must think me a loon!" She exclaimed to herself as soon as the bird was out of sight. "A picnic with no food, appearing out of a door that's not there!" She huffed and crossed her arms, then with a look of surprised turned back to where the owl flew off. "Imagine... A talking owl! Well, they do sound as I'd imagine!"

 "They're evil! Villains! Deviants!" cried the little man from her lap, whom she had forgotten was there. She looked back and in after a moment's hesitation,scooped him up in her hands. On further inspection, she could see intricate wings on his back, transparent and ornate. To her, the designs looked like they were dancing. He wore what looked like a flower leaf tied to his body, and as shoes had seemed to stick his feet into squashed blueberries. He wore a little hat of a daisy petal.

 "Well hello," she said, remembering her manners. "I'm Jane. It's a pleasure to meet you." She watched him as he adjusted his hat and tunic, in quiet awe. "Why was that owl after you?"

 "To eat me!" he exclaimed, pointing his finger menacingly. Jane giggled and he toppled over. He sat back up in a huff, and arranged himself to sit indian style in her palm. "We're like food to them! Hmph! Wouldn't you treat a fairy with more respect than that?" he questioned, his temper lessening as he vented to the girl.

 "Well yes, I suppose so," Jane answered. "I treat everyone with respect. That's what my mother taught me." A sad look came over her face, and she gave a weak smile to the fairy when he looked at her questioningly. "My mother died not too long ago. It's just my husband and I, though he's never really chosen to take care of me. I suppose we're too young."

 The fairy gave her an earnest look and held out his hand. "I'm Leo," he said as he shook her pinky finger. "Thank you for saving me. I was in some deep pine sap."

 She smiled happily again. "If you don't mind me saying, your wings are very beautiful."

 Leo's face turned the shade of a rose petal, and he quickly turned his face away, wings tucked to his back and hands in his makeshift pockets. "I do mind."

 Startled by his change in demeanor, she set him down in the grass. After a few moments of silence and pouting, she inquired, "So where do we find ourselves?"

 He looked up at her with a puzzled expression. "This is the path to my kingdom."