chapter 30

30. daily dose of ptsd

•—✽—✽—✽—•

the next day

JASON HAD BEEN DOING NOTHING BUT staring out of his bedroom window ever since he returned safely to the tower. All he could see in his mind were what felt like hundreds of floors as he plummeted.

A soft knocking at his door pulled him out of the horrific nightmare that he could not stop reliving. "Jason..."At the sound of her voice, he turned around to see her standing in the doorway.

Her eyes were glossed over as she saw his face relax and become relieved to see her. She rushed over to the boy as he quickly wrapped his arms around her.

Paige had never seen Jason break down before and she honestly wasn't sure if he had any other emotions besides anger and happiness. So seeing him the way he was, so fragile and broken, truly hurt her.

"Hey, it's okay... it's all gonna be okay. You're safe now, Jay. No one's gonna hurt you anymore. I promise I won't let anyone hurt you." He slightly nodded as he listened to her spew of reassuring words.

"He's still out there."

"I know, but now we'll be ready for him if he tries anything."

She didn't know how long she had been holding onto the boy. In her mind, she was doing it to comfort him but she knew anyone else who walked in would've known that Paige was really trying to comfort herself and finally allow herself to have some peace of mind.

Jason's sudden disappearance put her on edge and she was just happy to see him again.

"Paige?" he said.

"Yeah?"

"You're choking me." Quickly, Paige had let go as she apologized. "Are you okay?" Jason asked, noticing the sad look in her eyes that stared back at him.

"I should be asking you that, but yeah, I'm fine. Just glad you're okay," she grinned reassuringly, "And if there's anything you need just—"

A soft knock on the already opened door caught their attention. Dick watched as Paige's head whipped around to face him. She was still upset about him running off to find Deathstroke alone without telling anyone about his plan or where he was going to be. Especially because Jason had done the same thing and almost died because of it.

If both of them had died...that wasn't a thought she wanted to imagine or even a reality she would have to live.

"Yes?" she asked, her tone flat with no obvious emotion behind it. Jason could feel the tension between the two as soon as he walked into the room.

"I'm going out and I wanted you to come with me," Dick briefly explained.

"Why?" was definitely not the response he was expecting, but he went with it anyway. In the most mysterious, Dick Grayson way ever of course.

"I'll let you know when we get there." She watched as he walked off before rolling here eyes and saying a quick goodbye to Jason. Dick could hear her footsteps following behind him as her annoyance practically radiated off of her.