10

Silvia's Pov 

Gerald didn’t show up at all last night, and I was grateful for that because the baseball bat Josiah brought to my place later that evening was not something I would want to add in a police report. Josiah said it was just in case the people after Gerald decided to show up at my place, but that was highly unlikely. We both knew what he planned on doing with it.

The night was spent working on the project, and we were almost halfway done. I could only hope Gerald would be present while we were doing the other half. But with Josiah traveling this Sunday, something told me Gerald would be there. Josiah would be away for a whole week. He was going to see Riley in Denver. Apparently she was sick, and Josiah wanted to make sure she was okay. He was such a good big brother.

His flight was on Sunday, so we decided to hang out on Saturday. It was Friday and I could not stop searching for Gerald; my mind was racing with so many thoughts. He didn’t come to school yesterday, and I wondered if the people trying to kill him had succeeded, and that did not sit well with me.

But as I made my way down the hallway, the relief I felt when my eyes met his was one I wish I didn’t feel. Why was I so worried about him? He was a total jerk the last time I saw him, but then again, I was a jerk to him when we first met. I needed to make things right between us. I made my way towards him, but the way his eyes hardened when they caught mine made me halt. He turned his back to me and started down the hall, and I found myself following after him.

"Hey," I said, coming to a stop in front of me, and he shot me a glare before rolling his eyes.

"What do you want?" He asked harshly, and the annoyance behind his voice made me question my reasons for coming to him in the first place.

"You didn’t come to school yesterday," I stated as I pushed my weight from one leg to the other.

"And?" He hissed, and I decided that I had tried my best.

"Sorry, I’ll just go," I turned my back to leave, but he grabbed my wrist. I looked back at him and was shocked to find him smiling at me.

What the hell? Was he bipolar?

"Were you worried about me, silver eyes?" He spoke with a cocky smile playing on his pink lips, and I did my best to ignore the pounding in my heart.

I hid it with an eyeroll and said, "No way. I was just... the way you left the other day, I wanted to be sure you weren’t mad at me or something."

"Mad at you?" He released a snort. "How will you make it up to me if I said I was?" A lopsided smirk danced on his lips, and my eyes widened at the way he looked at me suggestively.

"Um, I could buy something?" I suggested, and he simply stared at me with a bored look. I wanted to slap myself. He was incredibly rich. What could I possibly get him that he doesn’t already have? I knew I was going to regret what I was about to say, but I really didn’t have many options. "Josiah and I will be going to see a movie tomorrow. You want to come with?" I asked, and his eyelids narrowed to slits.

"I’ll pass." He said before attempting to walk past me, but I placed my hand on his chest to stop him. I wanted to think I was imagining it, but I could feel his heartbeat, and it was fast. As hell.

My eyelids fell shut, and I released a breath I didn’t know I was holding. The feeling of his heartbeat was so calming. Despite the way it pounded frantically, it made me feel good. Calm. "I know we started on a bad note, and we have been on a rough road, and you also don’t like Josiah. But I want that to change. I want us to start over. All three of us, as friends."